OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The big thing with LPS and Sofites is to make sure and let them site in fresh tank water for 15 minutes or so after the dip and then I do that again with more tank water for them. Makes sure they did not "Drink" any and if they did, they have time to expel it. Final step is to rinse them in a fresh tub of tank water.

For acros, I soak, then clean soak, then rinse.

Oh yeah, make sure they are well "rinsed" in tank water before putting them back in the tanks. Also, I have seen pests drop off in the rinse water that didn't come off in the dip water.

To tell the truth, I don't think many of the pests are so much killed by any of the dip products as they are stunned; making them let go or easily blown off by a turkey baster. Also, after dipping acros I inspect the bases with a magnifier looking for eggs.

I got AEFWs years ago because I just didn't believe it was all that important to prevent pests if I trusted the source. I fought those ******** for two years before I finally eradicated them. If I ever get them again I think that will mark my departure from the hobby. Always dip no matter who you got them from, even from your Mama!

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heard stories of the new bayer having something else added to it that made it no longer safe to use for frags.. anyone else hear any of the stories.. new as good as the old?

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a bottle at Lowe's. Was buying ant killer and remembered this post.

15854262424257412841782826682295.jpg

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if it’s the same stuff, I haven’t personally checked the ingredients. I can tell you that I bought some coral on a flash sell and dipped them in the “Bioadvanced” first and then in ReVive and had no issues. Seems to still work just as good without killing the coral. Flat worms, pods, everything lying in the bottom of the container after the dips.

BamaMedic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several recommendations about mixing it with tank water. These recommendations varied widely depending who was posting them. I don't even measure any more. I get a plastic "shoebox" of tank water about half full and pour a little Bayer's in until it's pretty well milked up.

That’s how I’ve always done it. 10 CCs of Bayer per 4 ounces of tank water for 5 min. Then I follow up with a ReVive dip. (Moving the coral up and down in a swishing motion in the ReVive) then I dip them in clean Saltwater for 5 min (same swishing motion) to make sure no Bayer is left before you put them in your quarantine tank. I’ve read that just a tiny amount of Bayer in a tank will kill invertebrates, but I have no personal experience.

Edit: I forgot to add I also use a soft tooth brush on the plugs in the Bayer to brush off any eggs; It doesn’t work on eggs. Mainly because I’m too nervous to replug coral.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an old thread but worth adding to. In the bottom left hand corner of the bottle is some information that tells us the Active ingredient is Imidacloprid 0.72%, and B-Cyfluthrin 0.36%, and other ingredients 98.2%. Although the product looks the same as the active ingredients are the same, with the same %, the inert, here it is referred to as Other Ingredients, could have changed.

Somewhere on the bottle, or the label attached to the bottle will be a Manufacturers EPA#, along with the products EPA registration #. It is this registration number which will possibly indicate a change in the product, if different from another bottle.

Many times you can find a product with the same active ingredient, at the same %, but when you read the label, it does not allow you to apply it in the same manner. Sometimes for good reason, if a product is being used not only as an indoor outdoor insecticide, but also as a broadcast application to a lawn, shrubs, then it may need many different attributes for it to work in these many different environments, while something which will not be applied on a living organism to protect it from a pest may have a simpler inert, cheaper, but damaging to a plant. Bayer Home defense is a good example of a cheap home product with a great active ingredient, but not labeled for turf or shrubbery application.

Sometimes a product might not be labeled for certain applications as the manufacture does not want to pay for testing for this product, so cannot place it on the label, although it might be safe to apply it off label, this is where the EPA registration # comes into play.

The inert in a product plays a big part in how it mixes, spreads, sticks, buffers pH, and many other environmental conditions it might experience that it has to cope with.

Hopefully this gives you an insight to the pesticides that you might have around your home.

Please always read the label, always follow the label, and wear PPE, Personal Protection Equipment. Also dispose of any used pesticide safely, do not put down the drain, any drain, or ditch, or water run off area, this product does not need to get to any aquatic life.

The next time you bite into a fresh boiled cob of corn, just remember that the majority of corn seed is impregnated with Imidacloprid, to protect it from pests as a systemic insecticide.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back