OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is very happy this afternoon and doing well.
1000003172.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is officially 2 months old. Already past the point some expected it to fail lol. Elegance and other corals showing small growth signs and happy. I had to turn the frogspawn to where its longer parts are catacorned so it wouldnt touch the elegance and vice versa.

Day 1
1000002373.jpg

1 Month
1000002885.jpg

2 month (today)
1000003297.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great at 2 months! Like a museum display.
Yes it does. A lot of people dont like the look. But I find maintenance easier and can keep coral happy. Its still a little larger volume than I like but smallest I could find with what I wanted. It is also showing the basics of reefing and what is really needed vs nice to do. I have been really happy with it so far. Did ho a bit overboard with what i had planned, but I will eventual rearrange again. Just wating on light and possibly an orange torch to round out color.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best award is seeing the tank look happy! Looking great, filled in too quick :D
Yes ot did lol. Will be rearranging to give more space but be after new lights more than likely. Ill talk with vendors at reefapalooza to see if any new lights will be released around macna. Want lights that will go across entire tank for less showdowing and have more spread. I may increase flow just to have elegance shrink back up a bit lol.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an update. Reefapalooza had a better turnout than I thought it would. Was able to meet @revhtree at the reef2reef booth and nice to put a face to a name. Lots of vendors to meet. Didnt do quite tge betworking I wanted but as buisy as the place was, it would be rude to take up alot of vendors time unless going to buy something. They were still really nice to those I talked with.

My biggest complaint is that there was a 15 dollar parking fee that is not mentioned anywhere. I looked over the site and not listed there either. I dont ever remember having to pay to park. But changed the price from 30 to get in to 45.

I saw lots of amazing corals while looking around from what I could see and asked about a few prices. Found some good deals but I had other plans. I had a great conversation with aperture about lighting. I ended up ordering and talking with Greg from @TopShelfAquatics the AI blade glow while took home directly a grow for a good price. Also ordered a raised tank mount but not quite sure if it will provide the look I want.

The grow looks absolutly amazing in my opinion. While it doesnt have the pop without the violets and UV, it still produce nice coloration. The colors are blended very nicely and there seems to be no discoball effect. The spread and coverage is great as well. Looking forward to see how the glow will look.

I need to fix the flow and adjust coral positioning from water change day. But this gives a general idea of color.

1000003336.jpg

1000003341.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like I am one of the unlucky ones with the AI blade. I was told there were issues but reassured the newer ones were resolved.

I am having the issue with the whiter coloration by the cord side and bluer on the opposite. I have taken pictures with it flipped on both ways to she this change. I will have to wait till tomorrow to see what I can do.

Cord side on righ of image.
1000003342.jpg

Cord side on left of image
1000003343.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So working with Top Shelf Aquatics they have sent me a return label for the blade grow light and sending replacement. They stated it will be one just off the line. The issue with these lights from research and what I saw is the whites and blues are all placed in the same place each cluster. These clusters are slightly recessed. This causes the white to be blocked from the side they were sitting. To resolve this they alternate each cluster so you dont see white blue white blue white blie. Now you see white blue blue white white blue blue white. This seemed to fix the issue from reports. Ill update once I receive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back