New nano tank.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I just received a FREE ten gallon tank. Its got a filter in the back, and a heater. I have a few questions. One, should I even turn it into a nano reef or should I throw it out mainly because it was ordered off of Amazon, two, what light should I use for it? Budget light preferably Dimensions are 20 x 12 x 10 inches, and how do I clean it effectively? It used to be a freshwater tank and had a ton of algae in it it has a terrible smell because old owner did not care for it.
Thank you! And ill probably make a build thread out of it once I get the stuff.
Cam
1701444581369.png

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your asking if you should toss it then mention a build thread. Sounds like you want to keep it. Why not give it a good clean and cycle it and turn it into a softy nano tank? As for a light I'd check if the new AI blade come in that size. It be nice and sleek for sure. As for cleaning it fill it with water and dump a good amount of citric acid into it and have a power head running just to circulate the h20 and aid in the cleaning for a few days ;)

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your asking if you should toss it then mention a build thread. Sounds like you want to keep it. Why not give it a good clean and cycle it and turn it into a softy nano tank? As for a light I'd check if the new AI blade come in that size. It be nice and sleek for sure. As for cleaning it fill it with water and dump a good amount of citric acid into it and have a power head running just to circulate the h20 and aid in the cleaning for a few days ;)
Alright thank you. Stocking ideas?

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some different opinions on it. As in cleaning it not sure if I have citric acid. Also the AI blade is prettt expensive.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can get powdered citric acid pretty cheap and it’ll last you a long time. It’s really useful for cleaning any reef equipment as it dissolves calcium build up on powerheads and pumps. Also has no smell. You can also use white vinegar.

For lighs, keep in mind lighting is one of the most important things. As a good light (with good spectrum) will give healthier corals, better coloration, and just make your tank more aesthetically pleasing. On my office nano, I have the stock Fluval light, and where it keeps corals alive, they marginally grow, and look very bland. Lookup the noopsyche k7 mini. You can get 1 to start and get a 2nd if you need more coverage.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get powdered citric acid pretty cheap and it’ll last you a long time. It’s really useful for cleaning any reef equipment as it dissolves calcium build up on powerheads and pumps. Also has no smell. You can also use white vinegar.

For lighs, keep in mind lighting is one of the most important things. As a good light (with good spectrum) will give healthier corals, better coloration, and just make your tank more aesthetically pleasing. On my office nano, I have the stock Fluval light, and where it keeps corals alive, they marginally grow, and look very bland. Lookup the noopsyche k7 mini. You can get 1 to start and get a 2nd if you need more coverage.
Alright. Will my outflow nozzle count as a powerhead?

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright. Will my outflow nozzle count as a powerhead?
It will provide flow. Wouldn’t consider it a powerhead.

You can add something like a random flow generator to the nozzle, if you want to get a more varied flow from your return. Upgrade your return pump to get more flow out the nozzle, Or add a powerhead down the line.

I’d just start with what you have, and you can always upgrade/add more if that’s what your corals are telling you they need.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be a cute nano without too much investment. White vinegar is a very effective cleaner and rinse til you don't smell it anymore. Or use Clorox and rinse til you don't smell and then let it sit over night.

That size tank is great for small blennies and gobies, most of which have big personalities in pint size bodies. I like my masked gobies, barnacle blennies and a cleaner goby, who will clean parasites but also eats prepared fish food. A shrimp or two can add interest and be fun. Softie coral and easy LPS can keep the tank low maintenance but keep it diversified and attractive.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP mentioned that this had previously been used as a freshwater tank and had lots of freshwater algae, and for that I think instead of an acid bath, maybe try some household bleach and a good amount of elbow grease with a clean nylon kitchen scrubby. If you don't have citric acid, you can try regular white vinegar to cut through any hard water or calcium stains on the glass.

The return pump is likely easily upgradable if you need more flow; check the small Rio pumps on Amazon.

A random flow return nozzle may be easily attached, depending on the pump's output hose size. I've had the IM SpinStream that comes with several size adapters, but I did find it loud.

For inexpensive but decent lighting, look for NiCrew and Noopsyche, I think both are pretty well liked here for the money.

EDIT: I meant to say that I have gotten a lot of equipment from the For Sale Dry Goods here at R2R at very good prices. I'd watch here if you're on a budget. I've never had a problem, but be careful and use common sense when making deals:

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-dry-goods.60/

I am definitely not an expert, but I think it may help others help you if we knew what you wanted to keep in this tank. For example, really undemanding inhabitants will likely be fine with the stock pump and an inexpensive light and routine water changes. If you want to keep more demanding animals, you may need to look into high flow, a random flow generator (or additional powerhead/flow options), higher output lighting and more.

One thing to keep in mind, for small nano tanks you're almost certainly going to want an Auto Top Off (ATO) system to replenish the freshwater evaporation and keep the salinity nearly constant. The good folks at BRS maintain the the Tunze OSmolator 3155 is the best of the best, but it comes with a price tag. I have had one and it did work well for me in the past. Currently, I am running two $35 Most Aqua ATO's on my two newly started tanks, and while I can't speak for long term, in the short term these inexpensive ATO's are working well for me.

Oh, don't skimp on a decent heater too! Sorry to keep piling on ;-)

I hope this helped!

Best of luck with your new tank!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some different opinions on it. As in cleaning it not sure if I have citric acid. Also the AI blade is prettt expensive.
Not sure where your at but check out reefcassa (Fragbox) in Canada owns reefcassa and they have a basic pick style led light that isn't very expensive if I recall.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. But to be honest I have 0 experience with return pumps or nozzles i've always worked with hang on the back filters so baby steps for right now.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. But to be honest I have 0 experience with return pumps or nozzles i've always worked with hang on the back filters so baby steps for right now.
No worries! I wouldn't mess with any of it until you know you need it ;-)

What are you hoping to keep in this tank?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly just soft corals, maybe some SPS clown pair if possible if not then some gobies and shrimp.
I think soft corals, gobies, and shrimp would be a good starting point, and would likely do just fine with the stock tank, pump and return. If you are hoping to have a pair of clownfish, that tank may be a bit small, but others I’m sure will weigh in on that.

In our hobby, SPS stands for Small Polyp Stoney, and refers to a group of corals that have similar characteristics. Hobbyists, not scientists, decided to group them together. These animals are generally considered more difficult to keep than soft corals. SPS corals typically require higher-end lighting, very high flow, and near perfect and extremely stable water parameters. SPS corals may be a good “down the road” goal once you have some more experience and equipment.

If your budget is super tight, maybe look at something like this:

You can also try a “PAR” styled light bulb. These screw into a regular household lamp socket, so if you already have a desk lamp somewhere this nay be an inexpensive option:

Again, I would try to get a good quality heater for sure.

Currentley just trying to find a light. Nano powerheads are very expensive...
You may not need any additional power heads or pumps in your tank. I would see how much flow you get out of it as is. It’s almost certainly enough for the easiest soft corals. If not, I’d probably look first at upgrading the stock return pump, it’s super easy, you’re just pulling a tube off a nozzle. I’d suggest looking at the inexpensive Rio pumps like this one:

That’s 138 gallons/hour for $26, and would likely be overkill for your tank. They do come both smaller and larger, I’m just showing you that they are inexpensive and super easy to swap out, so don’t worry about that.

But again, I really wouldn’t buy any new pump or return device until you know you need it, you’re probably fine with the stock pump for now.

I would say the first thing you need is a heater. With your tank and a heater, you can get the system running and start your nitrogen cycle process. This is a very necessary process, and can be time consuming (like weeks long). It’s generally best practice not to light your tank during this process.

For example, get a heater now (along with your water, salt mix, buckets, etc.) and start the tank. Begin to cycle the tank, which will take a minimum of about two weeks (with some help) and sometimes as long as 8 weeks. When your cycle is complete and you’re ready to start slowly adding livestock, then you’ll need a light. So you don’t have to buy everything all at once. Get a heater now, and spend the next 6 weeks looking for a great deal on a light.

If you’re not sure what I mean by the nitrogen cycle, and what we call “cycling” a new tank, this would be the first thing you’d want read up on, and I’d be glad to try to help if you have questions about that.

When considering costs have you considered ongoing expenses like salt mix and water? Just some things to keep in mind when considering costs.

Have you thought about rock and sand?

I hope this helps. I am far from an expert, but I’m sure others will chime in as well. If you have any more questions I’ll do my best to try to help.

In the spirit of the season, if I go through my bins of fish-stuff, I may have some odds and ends that would help you get going. Unfortunately I don’t have a light for you, but I may be able to help with other stuff.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think soft corals, gobies, and shrimp would be a good starting point, and would likely do just fine with the stock tank, pump and return. If you are hoping to have a pair of clownfish, that tank may be a bit small, but others I’m sure will weigh in on that.

In our hobby, SPS stands for Small Polyp Stoney, and refers to a group of corals that have similar characteristics. Hobbyists, not scientists, decided to group them together. These animals are generally considered more difficult to keep than soft corals. SPS corals typically require higher-end lighting, very high flow, and near perfect and extremely stable water parameters. SPS corals may be a good “down the road” goal once you have some more experience and equipment.

If your budget is super tight, maybe look at something like this:

You can also try a “PAR” styled light bulb. These screw into a regular household lamp socket, so if you already have a desk lamp somewhere this nay be an inexpensive option:

Again, I would try to get a good quality heater for sure.

You may not need any additional power heads or pumps in your tank. I would see how much flow you get out of it as is. It’s almost certainly enough for the easiest soft corals. If not, I’d probably look first at upgrading the stock return pump, it’s super easy, you’re just pulling a tube off a nozzle. I’d suggest looking at the inexpensive Rio pumps like this one:

That’s 138 gallons/hour for $26, and would likely be overkill for your tank. They do come both smaller and larger, I’m just showing you that they are inexpensive and super easy to swap out, so don’t worry about that.

But again, I really wouldn’t buy any new pump or return device until you know you need it, you’re probably fine with the stock pump for now.

I would say the first thing you need is a heater. With your tank and a heater, you can get the system running and start your nitrogen cycle process. This is a very necessary process, and can be time consuming (like weeks long). It’s generally best practice not to light your tank during this process.

For example, get a heater now (along with your water, salt mix, buckets, etc.) and start the tank. Begin to cycle the tank, which will take a minimum of about two weeks (with some help) and sometimes as long as 8 weeks. When your cycle is complete and you’re ready to start slowly adding livestock, then you’ll need a light. So you don’t have to buy everything all at once. Get a heater now, and spend the next 6 weeks looking for a great deal on a light.

If you’re not sure what I mean by the nitrogen cycle, and what we call “cycling” a new tank, this would be the first thing you’d want read up on, and I’d be glad to try to help if you have questions about that.

When considering costs have you considered ongoing expenses like salt mix and water? Just some things to keep in mind when considering costs.

Have you thought about rock and sand?

I hope this helps. I am far from an expert, but I’m sure others will chime in as well. If you have any more questions I’ll do my best to try to help.

In the spirit of the season, if I go through my bins of fish-stuff, I may have some odds and ends that would help you get going. Unfortunately I don’t have a light for you, but I may be able to help with other stuff.

Wow! Thank you!

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update.
Ive decided to scrap this idea due to budgeting and my two other tanks AND a crested gecko. Possibly in the future.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update.
Ive decided to scrap this idea due to budgeting and my two other tanks AND a crested gecko. Possibly in the future.
Certainly a valid choice. Sometimes our resources, (of time and money) are too limited to do the tank justice so I applaud you for recognizing when you are stretched too thin.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back