Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SG 1.026 aqua forest salt
Nuvo 20 fusion
Carbon/GFO/Purigen/filter sock
78F
No ammonia/nitrite and 2-3ppm nitrate
I didn't test for phos/Ca/Alk cause I wasn't sure if it was necessary but I can if needed. (water is 3 days old with no corals)

Initial set up with new tank/substrate 3 days ago, Live rock in display and rubble inside filter socks and sump media from my established RS170. 3" ABS pipe for burrow.

Its been 6 hours since Ive drip acclimated the mantis and put him in the DT. He has not moved much and hasn't been inside the burrow yet. Im concerned because in all my youtube viewing they seem to either be inside their burrow or actively foraging and building, which he is doing neither. And I figure if hes still getting used to the new tank he would instinctually do that inside the burrow and not on the surface.

Light has only been on to take these photos. He seems to be about 4.5". And healthy and intact from what I can see.

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0034.jpeg

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think IMO he would feel more secure with more lr . stack a few together and hell dig in the sand beneath to make his burrow. Congrats he s a beautiful speciman.

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think IMO he would feel more secure with more lr . stack a few together and hell dig in the sand beneath to make his burrow. Congrats he s a beautiful speciman.
I got 10 Lbs of dry rock rubble coming in tomorrow. My plan after curing it was to throw the pieces in there for him specifically so he could build.
Im hoping a few days wait isn't an issue. The rest of my live rock is epoxied together and has corals. I guess I could get some live rock from the LFS tomorrow if needed. Just worried about hitchhikers cause I use alot of same equipment between this tank and my reef.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell take care of most hitch hickers so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting him some more lr.....how's he doing today?

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell take care of most hitch hickers so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting him some more lr.....how's he doing today?

Im mostly worried about the hitchhikers he cant take care of that could easily jump tanks from my shared equipment like algaes, aiptasia and flat worms.

Hes doing great today. Last night I was able to feed him 3 freeze dried krill from my tongs. When I woke up this morning he was occupying the cave. After work today I fed him 2 more pieces of krill from the tongs.

Now that hes been hiding in his cave I wish he would come out again! The tail section of the Peacocks is my favorite part and now all I see is his face.
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0038.jpeg

OP
OP
Fizzicks

Fizzicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe get some caulerpa or seagrass to cover the bottom of the tank? IMO it'd make it more natural looking,

I have insane amounts of Xenia in my RS170 that Im going to frag and mount on live rock rubble and plant them all around the tank. Just waiting on the tank to mature a bit. A part of me wants to try a RBTA on that center rock but im not sure if my LED has enough PAR even that close(12") to the light.

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burrow is WAY to big (diameter).

The Mantis only wants to be able to invert itself inside the burrow & be able to touch as much as the circular interior diameter its physically standing upon when inside it, they prefer it tighter than more spacious.

Try a smaller one but the general design is good as simple as it looks this is what I encourage.

Doing this will allow it to do what it's likely trying to do, build a little fort at the entrances but because they're so dang big... you get it :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back