New Pest/Guest

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an interesting new tank mate today. There were 5-6 on a rock at the LFS, and I almost passed them over as palythoas. Based on this, it appears they stay small and split often, but this definitely isn't a majano (you can see some of those on right side). And I'm pretty sure it's not a Borneman anemone as those usually get bigger and have frilly tentacles. If anyone has seen something similar I'd love to learn more about it - or any other unusual anemones you all have seen!

20230730_213027.jpg
20230730_231523.jpg

Last edited:

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2182.jpeg

Circle on left looks like a paly, right circle looks like tulip anemones but I may be wrong. If they are tulip anemones get rid of them asap. They spread quicker than aiptasia. I have had luck with kalk paste.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2182.jpeg

Circle on left looks like a paly, right circle looks like tulip anemones but I may be wrong. If they are tulip anemones get rid of them asap. They spread quicker than aiptasia. I have had luck with kalk paste.
Those look like rock flower anemones to me! Especially the one on the left. Not too sure about the ones on the right but the tentacles make me think thats what they are too.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2182.jpeg

The circle on the right has tulip anemones and majanos, but they aren't new and they aren't a problem for me. The circle on the left is what I just added and it is definitely an anemone.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circle on the right has tulip anemones and majanos, but they aren't New and they aren't a problem for me. The circle on the left is what I just added and it is definitely an anemone.
Yeah Im pretty sure the one on the left is a rock flower anemoneb

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake now that I think about it, it does look like a rock flower anemone. Like little fox said. You haven’t had any issues with he tulips or Majanos spreading quickly? When I had a few tulips I just threw the rock out that had them on it.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock anemones don't split afaik.

There left one still could be one, but the right red tipped one COULD be a majano but need a direct front picture to id

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake now that I think about it, it does look like a rock flower anemone. Like little fox said. You haven’t had any issues with he tulips or Majanos spreading quickly? When I had a few tulips I just threw the rock out that had them on it.
I keep them as part of my tank, and control where they are allowed to go with kalkwasser paste. They are pest for most people but I like them and work with them. I have probably 4 different variations of majano plus the tulip anemones.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There left one still could be one, but the right red tipped one COULD be a majano but need a direct front picture to id
Yeah that's what had me confused as well. And yes I have majanos and all sorts of critters in my tank, lol.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what had me confused as well. And yes I have majanos and all sorts of critters in my tank, lol.
If you already have majanos, then it's definitely not an issue to add more then, I guess!

I am willing to be the ones on the right are majanos given their bulbous tentacles.

The one in the forefront could be a rock flower. Are these anemones identical in shape /coloration?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the left is a rock flower, looks like its got the little mouth, line pattern and tentacles. The ones on the right yeah not rock flowers no clue

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have majanos, then it's definitely not an issue to add more then, I guess!

I am willing to be the ones on the right are majanos given their bulbous tentacles.

The one in the forefront could be a rock flower. Are these anemones identical in shape /coloration?
The ones at the store all looked exactly like the one on the left. The ones on the right were already in my tank. Sorry, it looks like I confused a lot of people with my description.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones at the store all looked exactly like the one on the left. The ones on the right were already in my tank. Sorry, it looks like I confused a lot of people with my description.
Oh that makes a bit more sense.

Yea, I'm willing to bet they are rock flowers. Probably a collected FL live rock with a lot of these on it

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this thread with additional details. It seems to me that, even when the top color is different, the base color or pattern for most types of will have some things in common. So I took some pictures of the base/column/underside on some anemones to compare.

Here is my new anemone :
20230804_003731~3.jpg

Here is a Borneman anemone, which looks the closest:
20230804_004023.jpg

And here is a rock flower anemone, which looks closest from above but very different underneath:
20230804_005826.jpg

I'm hoping this comparison will help get an ID on this little thing, if possible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back