New piece of rock effects?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting a reasonably large piece of rock in the tank, and the question is will it effect the tanks stability? Is it likely to start any sort of new cycle?

The rock is from an old tank and has been cooking in the dark in salt water in the garden for months. It looks clean and fresh, smells clean and fresh too.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your good to go. I did this also. It has good life init already. Was it ever dried out or bleached etc? I cook all my rock before adding to a tank. Helps clean it out I believe . Do You have a picture for us maybe?

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was dried and and treated with muratic acid and then in a tub with lanthanum for a month before being cleaned and placed in the plastic brute in the garden with other old rocks. They were a mixture of rocks treated as I just said, and also rocks that had been traditionally cured in salt water after being removed from an old tank. The rock is just clean looking.

( I have been saving rocks now and then for a bigger tank at some stage )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0622.JPG

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I add a new piece, I get a diatom outbreak. The size of the outbreak depends on the size of the rock. No harm, just not pretty.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm thinking it doesn't really have any/very little bacteria left in the rock. If your not removing a piece & replace with this rock you should be fine if you are can you leave the original in a sump maybe until this new rock will mature & get some good bacteria in it . It my throw off the balance a little so just keep an eye out .

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did throw some shrimp in the brute with the rocks a few months ago when I set then in the garden. That was February I think. I don't know how long the bacteria stays in the water when its not been fed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back