New possum wrasse staying at the top

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6623.JPG
I got a new possum wrasse yesterday and he always stays at the surface of the water. I thought they should hide in the rocks. I added a same size six line wrasse at the same time. He's behaving normally and is fine. The possum was among the rocks for a short time then went to the top. I have a bigger black capped basslet that mildly picked on them for a few minutes bat hasn't since that I've seen. None of the other tank mates have paid any attention (2 clowns, starry blenny, tailspot blenny). I've had him 24 hours. In the morning he must have been in the rocks because he was no where to be seen but he's back at the top again. There is an bunch of live rock in a 28g nano

Is this normal or how long should I wait before getting concerned?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bullied fish, or even worse a sick fish.

Unfortunately, whoever allowed you to buy a possum wrasse (one of the most docile wrasse) with a sixline (one of the most notoriously evil wrasse) shouldn't be employed anymore.

My gut tells me that sixline is badgering it. I can tell you with near 100% certainty that the sixline will eventually kill the possum. :(

I'm sure you don't want to hear that, but I would rehome the sixline. I've seen them bully the worlds meanest tang (a powder blue IMO).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprised your tailspot is even in there with the starry, but yeah. That six-line will terrorize everything in the tank.

OP
OP
Turkey head

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. It doesn't have any marks on it but I was thinking it may be bullied or sick. Just wasn't sure.

About the starry and the tail spot. I was a little concerned it would be a mistake but they are both doing great and haven't had any problems with each other. They each have their own hiding spots and both swim in the open with no concern for each other.

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sixline will eventually kill everything in that small tank. Whoever sold you the blenny combo and wrasse combo ought to be arrested.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about the blenny combo. There are ways to make that work.

The sixline on the otherhand is bad news, and be problematic in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back