Transferring fish to new tank

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks currently - an evo 13.5 and an IM 14 peninsula, both of which have been running for a while. I also have an IM 50 lagoon which was filled recently which I want to move the fish into.

The 14 peninsula has been running since late 2020, and I've had 1 possum wrasse living in there since last April. I plan to move all of the rocks from this tank to the new aquarium with the fish.

The evo is my quarantine tank, and currently has a firefish and a hector's goby. I have seen the hector's pick at frozen mysis, but he's mostly eating whatever he finds on the rocks and sand right now.

What I am wondering is, would it be better to move all 3 of the fish into the new tank at the same time? I was hoping to, since I feel that having more than one fish will help them to settle and calm down faster.

The rocks I'm moving into the tank are well established IMO, but the sandbed in the new tank will be barren initially. I'm concerned with the hector's, if he will be able to/"know" to eat from the rock until the sandbed seeds, or should I move the rocks/possum wrasse over at first and let the tank develop for a bit before I transfer the other fishes?

Thanks!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above transfer everything at once. I’ve done this every time I upgrade tanks and never had any issues.

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a new tank and added 5 fish with the LR. Just keep an eye on your levels but I find it's easier doing it this way so they all establish territory at the same time if you have any aggressive fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back