Moving a fish to a new tank

gcourtney13

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2024
Messages
50
Reaction score
32
Location
shawnee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on moving a clown fish to a new tank with friends. It has been in a 15 gallon since I got it. The bigger issue I am dealing with is that this fish was paired with another fish almost 2 years ago that got brooks. It has not shown any signs of brooks in 2 years. Will it be safe to add to a new tank with other fish?
 
@Jay Hemdal assuming they're asking about a concern with Brooklynella after two years without symptoms?

As far as moving it with any fish it depends on the specific fish and the fish in the new tank. I've had a clown that was around 3 years old end up "breaking out" of the acclimation box and meet a bunch of new friends (including 2 additional clowns) with no problems BUT a lot of people have different experiences where new fish (or established fish in the other aquarium) go on a murder spree.

I don't think (I know little about diseases though) that, after 2 years Brooklynella is a concern but since the tank wasn't technically fallow there's always the potential for it to have been dormant?
 
My recommendation would be, if you move it, use an acclimation box if possible just to give everyone a chance to meet on their terms without any chance of violence.
 
I am planning on moving a clown fish to a new tank with friends. It has been in a 15 gallon since I got it. The bigger issue I am dealing with is that this fish was paired with another fish almost 2 years ago that got brooks. It has not shown any signs of brooks in 2 years. Will it be safe to add to a new tank with other fish?

Brookylnella wont be active in a tank after that length of time.

However, “clownfish friends” is very often an oxymoron - they may end up fighting. I try to avoid mixing long term captive clowns, it’s just too unpredictable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new