New powder blue tang!!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

My powder blue came today. Shes in my clean QT tank. Ive read these guys struggle in QT as they tend to come in really thin. This is mine, just curious if she looks really thin to you guys? Shes very active, constantly picking algae, no sign of sickness. Just wondering what helps to feed her to fatten her up? Shes about 3 inches. Excuse the algae on the acrylic, try not to scrape it cause it scares the heck out of the tang and she likes to pick at it.

IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1979.jpeg IMG_1980.jpeg IMG_1981.jpeg IMG_1978.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal

My powder blue came today. Shes in my clean QT tank. Ive read these guys struggle in QT as they tend to come in really thin. This is mine, just curious if she looks really thin to you guys? Shes very active, constantly picking algae, no sign of sickness. Just wondering what helps to feed her to fatten her up? Shes about 3 inches. Excuse the algae on the acrylic, try not to scrape it cause it scares the heck out of the tang and she likes to pick at it.

IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1979.jpeg IMG_1980.jpeg IMG_1981.jpeg IMG_1978.jpeg
Looks good and I rarely see them thin. Quarantine essential for these guys

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good and I rarely see them thin. Quarantine essential for these guys
Yep! Ive got a low level of cupramine in the tank but Im just observing to see if I need to bring it up to a therapeutic level

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yep! Ive got a low level of cupramine in the tank but Im just observing to see if I need to bring it up to a therapeutic level
Do NOT d this step and get right to treatment level. Best is coppersafe as Cupramine can be overdosed and must be precise at 0.5 treatment level. Increasing copper level slowly can allow the disease if present to gain resistance making it harder to treat given disease. Add partial doses and get to the full treatment level as soon as possible.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The fish looks pretty good from what I can see.

Don't hold the fish at low level copper for any length of time. It is not therapeutic, so isn't doing any good. You need to be at a full treatment dose of 0.50 ppm. Powder blues almost always develop marine ich, so I just treat for that right away. they also get Neobenedenia flukes fairly often, so you'll want to treat for that later on.

I prefer Coppersafe over Cupramine, the latter seems to have more adverse fish reactions, and it cannot be used with Prime or other reducing agents, as that can release toxic free copper. That said, you can't switch to Coppersafe now, as the two products test differently. I would run at full Cupramine for 21 days....

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks pretty good from what I can see.

Don't hold the fish at low level copper for any length of time. It is not therapeutic, so isn't doing any good. You need to be at a full treatment dose of 0.50 ppm. Powder blues almost always develop marine ich, so I just treat for that right away. they also get Neobenedenia flukes fairly often, so you'll want to treat for that later on.

I prefer Coppersafe over Cupramine, the latter seems to have more adverse fish reactions, and it cannot be used with Prime or other reducing agents, as that can release toxic free copper. That said, you can't switch to Coppersafe now, as the two products test differently. I would run at full Cupramine for 21 days....

Jay
Gotcha I will dose that now thank you!

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I got mine small from petco (straight out of the shipping package before they had a chance to put him in their system). I just brought him home, temp and salinity acclimated him, and put him straight in the display. Has been going strong for six months. I have never quarantined any fish. Zero problems so far, but I’ve probably just been lucky. Hope yours does well!

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon and vitachem added to LRS food fattened up my blue hippo nicely

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back