New Purple Tang. Ich/Velvet?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - just got a new Purple Tang last night. This morning he ate really well and was busy picking at the rocks - all good stuff.

However this afternoon I’m noticing a white spot on his side. He’s not picking or working anymore and seems much more lethargic.
Im not seeing any other white spots at this time.

I’m a little suspicious as the LFS had him at 1.015 salinity - which seemed odd to me.

Thoughts? For now I’m just monitoring and seeing where it goes.
28E7AD8F-2EFE-4950-BBBF-08EB89989A49.jpeg

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does he just have a few spots? Have they spread or moved since this picture? - kali
Just the one so far but he’s not interested in eating any longer. All day he’s been picking and taking anything that looks like food. Now he’s ignoring it.

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I checked the salinity and it was high at 1.26 - 1.28. I added some RODI and brought it down to 1.024/1.025.
He’s now pecking away a bit again. Perhaps the higher salinity was making him feel ill.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I checked the salinity and it was high at 1.26 - 1.28. I added some RODI and brought it down to 1.024/1.025.
He’s now pecking away a bit again. Perhaps the higher salinity was making him feel ill.
Acclimating a fish from 1.015 to 1.026 needs to be done over a period of days, not hours. The fish is likely suffering from osmotic stress. The picture isn't clear, but the single spot seems too large to be ich, and it certainly isn't velvet, but this species is prone to both.

Jay

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimating a fish from 1.015 to 1.026 needs to be done over a period of days, not hours. The fish is likely suffering from osmotic stress. The picture isn't clear, but the single spot seems too large to be ich, and it certainly isn't velvet, but this species is prone to both.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Yes that makes sense. We were not prepared for that scenario as the LFS had told me they were at 1.025. I tested the bag just as a precaution before starting the acclimation process. Unfortunately I didn’t have anywhere to put him and I couldn’t leave him in the bag overnight - therefore we raised the salinity over the course of a few hours in the bag.

hopefully he’ll be able to acclimate - he’s back to eating now which seems to be a good sign.

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now Im really confused.

Over the weekend the Tang broke out in white dots, all over. For sure, we thought - it's ich. 'She' (my wife has assigned the tang a gender) has been eating great, and otherwise behaving normally so we ruled out velvet.

However - the following day - the white dots had faded, and were hardly visible except on the tail. The following day - they are gone.

Is this the fish fighting off the illness? Should we just assume it has ich now? I dont see the clowns getting it - but we're watching closely. Any other ideas what it might be?

I didnt take a picture because I thought I'd have lots of time to do that and sort it out, but now..they are gone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now Im really confused.

Over the weekend the Tang broke out in white dots, all over. For sure, we thought - it's ich. 'She' (my wife has assigned the tang a gender) has been eating great, and otherwise behaving normally so we ruled out velvet.

However - the following day - the white dots had faded, and were hardly visible except on the tail. The following day - they are gone.

Is this the fish fighting off the illness? Should we just assume it has ich now? I dont see the clowns getting it - but we're watching closely. Any other ideas what it might be?

I didnt take a picture because I thought I'd have lots of time to do that and sort it out, but now..they are gone.

Presuming this is indeed ich: The timing is about right for an episode of ich in new fish. A common scenario is that ich some tomonts are present in a tank, they release theronts at about the same time, because the tomonts are about the same age. The theronts swarm and then produce trophonts on the fish and you see spots. Since the trophonts are about the same age, they tend to drop off at the same time - giving the false impression that the case of ich has gone into spontaneous remission. However, the life cycle continues and the spots return. After a couple of cycles, they become out of sync and there are spots present all of the time. At this time, other fish in the aquarium will begin to show spots.

That said, if you have UV on the tank, or are treating with something, it is possible the spots won't return - but I would prepare for the worst.

Jay

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presuming this is indeed ich: The timing is about right for an episode of ich in new fish. A common scenario is that ich some tomonts are present in a tank, they release theronts at about the same time, because the tomonts are about the same age. The theronts swarm and then produce trophonts on the fish and you see spots. Since the trophonts are about the same age, they tend to drop off at the same time - giving the false impression that the case of ich has gone into spontaneous remission. However, the life cycle continues and the spots return. After a couple of cycles, they become out of sync and there are spots present all of the time. At this time, other fish in the aquarium will begin to show spots.

That said, if you have UV on the tank, or are treating with something, it is possible the spots won't return - but I would prepare for the worst.

Jay

Great thanks Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back