New Quarantine 2 stage and small frag grow tank.

Salt Bank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a new quartine tank with 2 sections to it. 1 section for a small frag grow out.
Click on this to see a 3d Model of the idea.
I think I have a solid idea but. Thought I would ask those smarter then I am. I must have missed overlooked something large on this build.
Tank info specs are width 65" depth 18" height 11" looking at making it with cell cast acrylic 0.30"
The left section is 28" wide, Overflow is 3" wide, middle is 14.5" wide, right section is 13.7" wide.
The left side has a sump that will be connected below the tank. Middle and Right will be on canister filters. Drains are 1 1/4 pipes with bulkheads. Return is 3/4 pipe then Y to 1/2 lock Line with bulkheads both on the bottom and the dividers. I still have to check the depth on the bulkheads. This might be a problem.
Tank build.JPG

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational QT for non-fish (i.e. coral, inverts, etc)?

Tell us a little about how you plan to use it and what you are attempting to achieve with the design and maybe we can help! Looks cool!

OP
OP
Salt Bank

Salt Bank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the left side will be connected to a Eshopps R-200 REFUGIUM SUMP 3RD GEN. This is so I can keep level stable and have some live rock and small skimmer down below. Left will be a long term grow out tank. Or a ooo crap I have no room in my 110Gal tank. Will be a safe location for good corals to go. Middle Will be QT 2 Right side will be QT 1. QT 1 I expect to be mostly corals anything that has a high chance of pests to be on it. I am guessing this tank may not always have water in it. I would expect things in this Right side to only be here for 2 - 3 weeks. Then they will move. To the center section where I expect them to be here a few months. So we can watch them for pests and health. Center sections might also have some small fish in there as well. Both of the QT 1,2 will have to do weekly water changes on them due to the lack of skimmer and live rock.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for adding those details.

So if you are attempting to prevent coral hitchhikers through observation and dipping, I think this is an excellent approach. I will say from my experience, it will be difficult to keep medium/difficult SPS alive without a well established QT1 and QT2 section. I would figure out a way to maintain pristine water conditions (including salinity which may be troublesome in a smaller tank). However the approach is solid.

Now if you were attempting to quarantine for fish diseases, first all of these systems would have to stay fishless. Second, the QT1 and QT2 tanks are too close to consider them separate QTs. That said, I think it would be rare to have a ich tomont travel from QT1 to main QT, happen to land on one of your corals being promoted (not attach, just be in the water you transfer to your display) and then make it to a fish. You are more likely to miss one during; however, wanted you to be aware.

Either way, maintaining separate equipment for the three separate QT's will be important.

It might also be beneficial to have the acrylic panels separating the three tanks to protrude above the top of the tank to help prevent splashing and cross contamination (definitely not a guarantee, but would be effective at mitigating risk).

Hope this helps.

#reefsquad for any additional comments or thoughts!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to keeping the entire system fish-less... aerosol transmission is a possibility at this close proximity (Which is why it's recommended to keep fish QT and DT tanks at least 10 ft from each other) If a parasite makes it to the "fish" side and then hikes into DT, would be bad. Especially since most people like to keep hardy, pest controlling fish like wrasses in coral tanks... and these can be resistant to parasites with their thick slime coat, yet allow them to reproduce unnoticed...

Would also note, that if you would like the system to double for fish disease prevention then you would want all incoming corals/inverts to remain in the fish-less system for a min 76 days. The clock is set for each piece added, not the whole system... so you don't have to reset with new additions.... just keep track of how long each has been there.

OP
OP
Salt Bank

Salt Bank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ihavecrabs
I would figure out a way to maintain pristine water conditions (including salinity which may be troublesome in a smaller tank). However, the approach is solid.

I was thinking of 2 or 4gal buckets under the stand with a float ball to auto top the water. From my RO/ DI system.

ngoodermuth
I understand and agree with your idea on the Fish. Will have to make sure the LFS has copper when getting fish.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.1%
Back