New R2R Member, Longtime Aquatic Fanatic, 20+ years experience & Proud Father of a 3 Year old Daughter and 2x Japanese Dragon Morays

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I'm excited to be a new member here on the forums. I have been lurking all the Reef Forums for awhile now and believe after much reading and following, R2R is the place for me!

A little bit of background about myself. I've been dabbling in the Fresh, Brackish, Saltwater aquariums over the course of my life since I was 5 years old. I am a proud Father of a beautiful 3 year old Daughter who absolutely has Dad wrapped around her finger, which is fine as long as it stays out of the tanks! My significant other has volunteered at a couple different aquariums over her life, including Sunshine Coast Sealife Aquairum in Australia, as well as the Baltimore National Aquarium in Maryland. She is also a diver with just about every certification except Master (She's working on it) and has dove the Great Barrier Reef and the Galapagos. We share each other's adventures and passion!

My Avatar is of a former Pleco I used to house in my indoor pond (I no longer have the pond) who grew to almost 3 ft. I decided to donate him to the Baltimore Aquairum where he is flourishing! The picture is of him in the Baltimore Aquarium exhibit. If any of you happen to visit it's the exhibit with the Caymans, Leporinus, Pacus, and other various fish and turtles.

I currently only have one tank running, a 74g Tower Saltwater, with a pair of Japanese Dragon Moray Eels, one is 32" and the other not far off, as well as a 10" Snowflake Moray Eel. They all get along great. The tank is running on bioballs and a DIY Algae Scubber.

All that being said they have well outgrown their home and we are in the process of setting up a 125g long for them. I will post another thread looking for some advice on setup. Plan to run a Protein Skimmer and Commercial Scrubber (Icecap?) on this one as my significant other would like to try and do some corals (which is what led me here.)

With the Bioload of Eels I figure a Skimmer and an Algae Scrubber should help us if we want to turn the tank into a nice Reef Tank. It will be a challenge as we would like to add some swimmers as well, but that poses it's challenges with 2 very large Eels in the tank. We are thinking speedy Tangs/Triggers or possibly some nocturnal fish like Squirrelfish as they'd be up when the Eeels would essentially hunt.

Not entirely sure our game plan for the 74g once we transfer, but it's either going to be a reef tank build or back into Freshwater (Discus possibly.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll setup another thread and start tracking our build!

Thank you
StealthPleco.jpg
DragonSnowflakeDragon.jpg
monitoringdragon.png

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Have you had discus before? If you have any questions about them let me know.

I tried discus unsuccessfully in the past, mostly my fault. I bought a couple nickel sized ones from a LFS that would do these crazy sales in Gaithersburgh, MD years ago. Unfortunately, they didn't make it very long.

If I start again, I'm fortunate to have a place like Discus Hans only about an hour away, and I would just buy adults.

With a 74g tall tank I think the Discus would love it and throw a bunch of dither fish like neons, rainbowfish, etc.. in there to calm them.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've lurked the Discus forums but have been slowly talking myself into eventually taking the plunge on them and doing it the right way.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... you need a reef tank!
:)

We currently have an AI Prime Reef light with the 16 LEDs on it. We've always had plans to eventually put corals in. With the higher biolad of the Eels we've been thinking of trying Xenia first, plus we don't mind it turning into a weed.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried discus unsuccessfully in the past, mostly my fault. I bought a couple nickel sized ones from a LFS that would do these crazy sales in Gaithersburgh, MD years ago. Unfortunately, they didn't make it very long.

If I start again, I'm fortunate to have a place like Discus Hans only about an hour away, and I would just buy adults.

With a 74g tall tank I think the Discus would love it and throw a bunch of dither fish like neons, rainbowfish, etc.. in there to calm them.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've lurked the Discus forums but have been slowly talking myself into eventually taking the plunge on them and doing it the right way.
Discus Hans can provide an abundance of good info. In the meantime check out somethingsphishy and look at their older articles and read about discus, specifically the 9 part breeding discus articles. If you can understand how to breed them you will be a pro at keeping them healthy.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back