New Rainbow Clove not opening

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while on vacation (From Alaska) near Orlando I, of coarse, had to visit WWC. My wife and I where very impressed at the selection and had to pick up some "souvenirs" to bring home. They where awesome and packed them up nicely into a 1gal cooler we checked it inside our luggage and flew home. Once home I floated the bags for temp and added them to the tank (did not drip acclimate or coral dip). The other frags including zoas, lepto, goni, and fungi quickly opened up, and are so far looking great, but the clove is closed up tigh. I have had it in two locations, both lower light, with mixed medium/low, and low flow for about 2 days each (4 days total).
I'm not sure if i'm worrying too much (as in let it be just relax), or if i should try to move it to a new area.
I'm a newb with cloves so any input would be appreciated.

Additional info: Testing after i got back (gone for 2 weeks) calcium and mag where fine, but PH and Alk where low, Alk was around 6.1, slowly raising it currently at 7.7 (aiming for 8.5+/-) and PH is at 7.5

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to boost your PH. Outside of that give it some time.
I currently have a head of blastos that have been acclimating to my tank for about a week now. They haven’t opened more than maybe halfway yet, but they’re looking healthy. I also have a finger Leather that I’ve had for about 3 weeks that is STILL acclimating to my tank. Give it some time :) if it starts looking sad or the colors change it may be time to make changes.

OP
OP
Zwogle

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to boost your PH. Outside of that give it some time.
I currently have a head of blastos that have been acclimating to my tank for about a week now. They haven’t opened more than maybe halfway yet, but they’re looking healthy. I also have a finger Leather that I’ve had for about 3 weeks that is STILL acclimating to my tank. Give it some time :) if it starts looking sad or the colors change it may be time to make changes.

Thanks! I'm trying to get the PH and Alk up by using baked baking soda, being very cautious to raise it slowly.

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm trying to get the PH and Alk up by using baked baking soda, being very cautious to raise it slowly.
That works! I personally drip Kalk and it’s keeping my PH up about a point and my alk at 11.7 calcium is 440 and I don’t test mag yet

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back