New rainbow oulphyllia dieing

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this guy up at the wwc sale. Wondering if normal acclimatization or if it's dieing. Half appears dead. Out of the 14 frags I got this one looks bad the rest look great. Messaged wwc 2 days ago and still no email back and they didn't answer their phone when I called. I understand probably all hands on deck with sale. Looking for advice here. Not a lot of info on oulphyllias online

20220520_185810.jpg

Hypan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s receding a bit. May be ok if you give it time. I’d clean it off and give it a dip. Medium flow and lower light. It will take it some time to recover it’s exposed skeleton.
Also… how close is it actually to that heater?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is white light
Yeah. I agree on the left there is some tissue recession. It’s not unrecoverable, try to ensure stable parameters (alk specifically) and give it a dip in an iodine solution and/or something like coral revive. If it continues to recede and your parameters seem to be good, you could try fragging off the unhealthy part (can be done with bone shears, but would be better with a bandsaw), but I would give it some time first.

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s receding a bit. May be ok if you give it time. I’d clean it off and give it a dip. Medium flow and lower light. It will take it some time to recover it’s exposed skeleton.
Also… how close is it actually to that heater?
It's close maybe 4 inches away. But it hasn't really been running. Lights have been down since I put them in. Maybe on setting 2 definitely medium flow. What dip do you recommend

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I agree on the left there is some tissue recession. It’s not unrecoverable, try to ensure stable parameters (alk specifically) and give it a dip in an iodine solution and/or something like coral revive. If it continues to recede and your parameters seem to be good, you could try fragging off the unhealthy part (can be done with bone shears, but would be better with a bandsaw), but I would give it some time first.
I wish wwc would contact me before I start hacking it apart lol. Will dip it parameters were good I'll check in am. Thanks

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are.

Ph 8
Alk 10.9
Ammonia .25 maybe
Nitrate 30
Phos .03
Mag 1350
Salinity 25
Calcium 350

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk is little high for me. There should b no ammonia and calcium needs a bump. I’d give it a dip. Maybe one of the iodine recipes in the dip sticky and put it in a lower light are off the tank.

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is little high for me. There should b no ammonia and calcium needs a bump. I’d give it a dip. Maybe one of the iodine recipes in the dip sticky and put it in a lower light are off the tank.
It's water change day so I will get ammonia to 0 and I buffed calcium and will be changing water later today. I figured the alk was fine as long as I kept it steady

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia. Steady is good. I just like my alk range 8-8.5 for my needs. Close to nsw w a slight buffer. Hope coral bounces back for u. Did vendor get back to u?

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia. Steady is good. I just like my alk range 8-8.5 for my needs. Close to nsw w a slight buffer. Hope coral bounces back for u. Did vendor get back to u?
Nope I'll have to email them again and see. Still don't know what my mystery lord is lol

Edit: I believe my ammonia went up from a few dead crabs that molted and got stuck when the snails moved a frag and shut them in.

Back