New Red Sea DC 600 skimmer ... underwhelmed so far .. does it get better?

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.. I recently bought a Red Sea DC 600 skimmer (w/ Sicce PSK DC 1200 pump) for my new tank and am finally testing it out.. I've had it running for 24 hours and it looks like a poured seltzer water into the body and it's being gently stirred... I took the whole thing apart, pump apart, inspected the impeller and pinwheel etc.. it's assembled 100% correctly ... the venturi and air hose are 100% free of debris.. I have the version without the DC controller box so the pump is at 100% and it's super weak... plus it feels like it's barely drawing air into the venturi.. when I compare it to my Reef Octopus 150int which sucks air in with force.. this Red Sea just seems so under powered... Does it get better? Or is the pump defective or something?

I am really starting to regret this purchase and am thinking about getting a Reef Octopus Regal 250 (space saver) ... I can't return it at this point so not sure what to do. Anyone else have this same skimmer and have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks much!

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a dc psk 1200 without a controller. Are you sure it’s not ac? First thing I would check is the water level as it sounds like it’s too high.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a dc psk 1200 without a controller. Are you sure it’s not ac? First thing I would check is the water level as it sounds like it’s too high.
Thanks for your reply. This is the skimmer:

It's 100% a DC pump.. has a power brick and everything. The pump plugs right into the brick's non wall plug side. You think maybe it's not running at 100%?

It's in 7 or 8 inches of water but with the skimmer on it pulls some into the body and the level drops to 6 inches.. I am just testing and trying to break it a bit in by running it in a storage tote filled with my dirty reef tank water..

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"
Connects to the ReefBeat Eco-System
In addition to all the features you'd expect from a high-quality skimmer from Red Sea, the Reefer DC models also connect to the ReefBeat app to give you control and monitoring of your skimmer's status. If you have other ReefBeat connected gear on your aquarium, you can easily automate routines and set quick actions, so your equipment works together in perfect harmony."
Did you try connecting and checking on the speed?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I just saw this in the description:

NOTE: ReefRun Dual Controller Required (Sold Separately)
The ReefRun Dual DC Pump Controller is needed to operate Red Sea's ReefRun line of pumps. Each controller can support two ReefRun pumps, meaning that you can run a dual ReefRun return system or ReefRun pump + ReefRun skimmer pump without purchasing a second controller. A big cost savings if you're running or plan to run two of these pumps.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I just saw this in the description:

NOTE: ReefRun Dual Controller Required (Sold Separately)
The ReefRun Dual DC Pump Controller is needed to operate Red Sea's ReefRun line of pumps. Each controller can support two ReefRun pumps, meaning that you can run a dual ReefRun return system or ReefRun pump + ReefRun skimmer pump without purchasing a second controller. A big cost savings if you're running or plan to run two of these pumps.
yeah this unit has no controller.. I just wanted to run the pump at 100% all the time and forgo the controller. So there's no sensor or controller or anything.. just a pump and a bunch of molded plastic. So the pump requires the controller to run properly?

Imma call BRS back on Monday to confirm but when I talked to them today they said I had everything setup right. I told them I had no controller, the pump was plugged right into the power brick and he said "yes so it's at 100% all the time" .. hmm

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this thread the pump requires a controller.. Why oh why would they not put that information FRONT and center while spending $600 on a skimmer? wow.

unplugged and ordering a controller now.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s weird. If you buy a replacement pump from sicce it comes with the sicce sdc controller. You can’t buy a bare pump. I’m guessing this skimmer is targeted at those who have newer RS tanks with the included dc return pump and dual controller. Should be in bold print like you say. It kinda makes sense that the pump would run at 100% just on the power brick though. I can’t believe that they used the same connector if that isn’t the case. It should be dummy proof. I can’t see to tell now, but I’ve never noticed before as I never tried to run a dc pump without a controller. I’m curious though now.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s weird. If you buy a replacement pump from sicce it comes with the sicce sdc controller. You can’t buy a bare pump. I’m guessing this skimmer is targeted at those who have newer RS tanks with the included dc return pump and dual controller. Should be in bold print like you say. It kinda makes sense that the pump would run at 100% just on the power brick though. I can’t believe that they used the same connector if that isn’t the case. It should be dummy proof. I can’t see to tell now, but I’ve never noticed before as I never tried to run a dc pump without a controller. I’m curious though now.
Ikr?? The connector between the pump and power brick are a mated pair, keyed perfectly for each other.. I find it very hard to believe they cripple the pump sans dc controller so it only runs at guessing 20 or 30% or something.. I’ve reached out to Red Sea about this also. Waiting to hear back but I’m guessing the controller will fix things up. I hope this skimmer ends up performing well for me!

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ikr?? The connector between the pump and power brick are a mated pair, keyed perfectly for each other.. I find it very hard to believe they cripple the pump sans dc controller so it only runs at guessing 20 or 30% or something.. I’ve reached out to Red Sea about this also. Waiting to hear back but I’m guessing the controller will fix things up. I hope this skimmer ends up performing well for me!

Well I hit the nail on the head with my guess...

"Thank you for contacting Red Sea; we are sorry to hear about this issue.

The Dual Controller is indeed required for the Reefer DC Skimmer to function at full capacity. Without the Dual Controller, the skimmer pump will operate at a reduced power level of 30%. To ensure your skimmer performs optimally, please connect it to a Dual Controller as per the instructions provided in the manual."

Thanks all for clewing me into needing the controller.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back