Red Sea dc skimmers

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omagad just opened up a red sea skimmer everything is made of 1mm plastic, its so flimsy and cheap.
They just slapped a sicce pump in it and call it a skimmer. Hope the trash doesnt warp and crack this year.

IMG_20230808_183850072.jpg

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I'm exaggerating but it feels like putting together a kinder surprise egg.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had an RSK 300 for three years and it has held up well. Not my favorite skimmer, but the small footprint works well in my sump. I did modify the neck cleaner (removed it) as I consider it worthless on any skimmer.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most are made of similar material/thickness. Besides, you got that awesome box! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Also the OMG I must buy red sea everything lolololololololol...

In all seriousness OP, if you just bought the skimmer, return it and get something beefier.

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the OMG I must buy red sea everything lolololololololol...

In all seriousness OP, if you just bought the skimmer, return it and get something beefier.
Yeah that would be the smart thing to do unfortunately I'm too busy to deal with this.

Anyone know know why the male connector plug of the skimmer sensor is smaller than the female connector of the controller? As such it doesn't fit.

The pump fits to the T extension cable but the skimmer sensor doesnt (for water level adjustment)

IMG_20230808_193858717.jpg IMG_20230808_194554850.jpg Screenshot 2023-08-08 200005.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh heck naw I think I need to buy a controller or something. I thought it would just plug it into powerbrick and id be able to control it with wifi...

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh heck naw I think I need to buy a controller or something. I thought it would just plug it into powerbrick and id be able to control it with wifi....
Yup, the controller is another $150 or sumthin like that …thats why I’m still chewing on it …. the auto leveling is compelling but by the time you add skimmer + pump + controller = kinda pricey

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Red Sea i'd also like to pay a monthly sub to use the skimmer. Please take my money.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, the controller is another $150 or sumthin like that …thats why I’m still chewing on it …. the auto leveling is compelling but by the time you add skimmer + pump + controller = kinda pricey
Oh heck naw I think I need to buy a controller or something. I thought it would just plug it into powerbrick and id be able to control it with wifi....
Please don t use the Lord s Name in Vain or as a swear Word. Thanks

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what stopped me lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need the controller that powers the new pumps and skimmers.

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have R/S 600 Skimmer. The plastic isn’t too thin and it is very durable. Some Skimmers use a different material and/or have glued joints and these can be quite brittle.

The new DC Skimmer caught my attention because it doesn’t come as a complete setup - you have to buy the Controller. Similarly for the Return Pumps that also require a Controller.

Perhaps R/S think that you will buy both a Skimmer and a Return Pump and not mind if you also need to buy the Controller. Of course you can just sit on your hands and buy nothing…

With my existing R/S Skimmer, I don’t have any issues so I’m scratching my head wondering how the new DC version can be better. It seems to me that it offers a solution to problems I don’t have.

Whilst the R/S Return Pumps look interesting my own Return Pump works brilliantly and the DC Controller is (like most equipment) included within the price. So for me these R/S products are either unnecessary , over complicated or just over priced.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just but this for your RSK 300 comes with a controller...

OP
OP
U

unklez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the base of the skimmer is super thin and has alot of flex, maybe you forgot about that since it sits in your sump. Also the knob you turn to set the waterlevel inside the skimmer seems very fragile.

I got the controller and I've been using it for a day. First thing I noticed how silent it runs, there is a feint humming noise from the pump with the cabinet open, could also be the sound of air mixing with water. You can't hear it sitting next to it with the cabinet closed.

It started skimming good right from the start, only had microbubbles for half an hour, no problems of bubble level going up or down in the neck or overflowing in the cup. In the app there is a slider to set the sensor from 0 to 100% i'm not sure how that works yet as when i slide it i dont see a difference. I'll mess with it more later.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had an RSK 300 for three years and it has held up well. Not my favorite skimmer, but the small footprint works well in my sump. I did modify the neck cleaner (removed it) as I consider it worthless on any skimmer.
Same with the RSK300. Only complaint is that it is not “silent” unless you pull in outside air and/or go through a CO2 scrubber (I do both). The AC pump also “hums” but that’s not nearly as bad as the ridiculous air intake. Skims well enough, especially for the price versus other well-known brands.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 43.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 121 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 23 9.1%
Back