New Red Sea Reefer setup. I have questions...

johnnyphish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 3, 2020
Messages
55
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm setting up a new Red Sea Reefer 350 peninsula. It's my first time with this sump and overflow configuration. I've been playing with the valve that controls the drain into the sump, trying to eliminate bubbles. I think I've got it where it needs to be, as in no bubbles. I'm wondering, does my overflow box look correct? Thank you!

PXL_20250331_223833267.MP.jpg PXL_20250331_223845406.MP.jpg
 
What I like to do on my 170 is throttle the valve down so that there's a trickle of water going down the secondary drain. Seems to provide enough pressure to quiet everything down a bit. Plus with a trickle flow in secondary it allows the main drain flow to changes due to build up of organics without constantly adjusting that valve. Since it's new you will be adjusting that valve a bit more as the system matures.
 
Last edited:
Why I like to do on my 170 is throttle the valve down so that there's a trickle of water going down the secondary drain. Seems to provide enough pressure to quiet everything down a bit more plus with a trickle flow as flow in the main drain changes due to build up of organics it saves constantly adjusting that valve. Since it's new you will be adjusting that valve a bit more as the system matures.
Thank you. Another question. I am guessing the square clear opening is the main drain? I can't really work out why the water doesn't overflow at the top of that drain? What is the purpose of that larger square clear portion?
 
Not sure really...mine is older so it's round. I suspect it has to do with sound quieting. but could just be pretty. You can see I just barely have a trickle flow going down backup. Seems to be quietest with least adjustments this way. If it becomes more than a trickle you can clearly hear it. I have to adjust mine every couple of weeks most times. But occasionally it'll be daily for a while after a big cleaning or when a bit of fouling happens in the drain line. Nothing significant just requires a opening and closing that diaphragm valve to clear it but it does mess up the balanced flow temporarily.

Not a fan of that diaphragm design. I've taken mine apart once as I suspected correctly had a snail in there giving me unstable drain flow. Easy enough to do but valve was very stiff for a months afterwards. Good now though.

IMG_0706.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new