NEW redesigned Ice Cap Algae Scrubber PRO questions

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone own and have an opinion on the new re-designed ice cap pro algae scrubber ? It seems like it has new LEDs which seem to be more water-resistant.

Capture.PNG

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the medium size of the old version on my 75-gallon fish-only tank. It works well. The system is skimmerless and this is my only filtration. I have been pretty happy with it. My biggest complaint is that the lights and the screen have 1 lid so you inevitably drip algae water on the lights when removing the screen. Looks like they fixed it with the version 2. It isn't a big enough change for me to scrap my V1 but the V2 would sure be nicer.

I liked it so much that I looked into getting one for my 200-gallon reef system but I just can't find a way to fit it in the sump.

OP
OP
kriskool123

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the medium size of the old version on my 75-gallon fish-only tank. It works well. The system is skimmerless and this is my only filtration. I have been pretty happy with it. My biggest complaint is that the lights and the screen have 1 lid so you inevitably drip algae water on the lights when removing the screen. Looks like they fixed it with the version 2. It isn't a big enough change for me to scrap my V1 but the V2 would sure be nicer.

I liked it so much that I looked into getting one for my 200-gallon reef system but I just can't find a way to fit it in the sump.
Great information ! thank you !

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am worried about for my 220g. I have 32" inside the stand. It would fit well in my sump, I am just worried about how much space I will need to pull out the screen and service it.

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m looking at one of these. Been dosing Nopox for a couple of years but the algae keeps out competing it every few months, plus it’s expensive over time. Do you see a noticeable difference in alga growth in the display tank?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have horizontal space but not a lot of vertical space, consider a surf 4 or 4x

These things just work super well and are easy to harvest. Silent too, no light spill, and no plumbing, no risk of algae drying out in a power outage. I can harvest my surf in 6-8 seconds including opening my cabinet doors and closing them when I’m done.

Reduced my in tank algae by 90-95%
It’s my only filtration. No skimmers or water changes

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have horizontal space but not a lot of vertical space, consider a surf 4 or 4x

These things just work super well and are easy to harvest. Silent too, no light spill, and no plumbing, no risk of algae drying out in a power outage. I can harvest my surf in 6-8 seconds including opening my cabinet doors and closing them when I’m done.

Appreciate it. I’m researching now. I’m going to give one a go. Just got to choose which one.

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats my plan now. I am trying to decide if I want the Surf4x first or the HOG 3xx. The sales staff at SM recommended those two models together for my tank.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they didn’t suggest a surf8 and just run one side at a time or both sides on low power to start off

Regardless the surf and hog are good units but I like the surf. It’s easier to harvest. The hog you have to reach in the water to take the unit out and also to put it back. The surf is just lift off the lid and then put it back on

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why they didn’t suggest a surf8 and just run one side at a time or both sides on low power to start off

Regardless the surf and hog are good units but I like the surf. It’s easier to harvest. The hog you have to reach in the water to take the unit out and also to put it back. The surf is just lift off the lid and then put it back on
Because of the dimensions of my sump wont support a Surf8 or I would have just got that. My fuge chamber is 8.3" deep by 24" wide. The Surf4 is 8" deep and the 8 is 11.5".

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m from the UK but spend a lot of time in the States and going to order a turf scrubber. Not sure I can justify the double the price of the CW so was going for the IceCap pro. Medium. I’m assuming the pro is a better option than the self plumbed purely as it looks like it uses LEDs and is easier to harvest.

Last edited:

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them the small hob one for my 30 gallon and the small size pro for my Red Sea Reefer it’s 112 total gallons and it does a great job, i put it in my tank a year ago and it saved my tank from total disaster, the GHA was pretty bad and a slime algae was doing a job on my corals i had to turkey blast it off the corals every other day and i lost a few, i got the small pro and in 3 weeks my tank was about 90 % cleared up and less then 5 weeks completely clear of all algae, it completely saved my tank, my protein skimmer was completely ineffective

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing NOPOX but the algae just out competes it. I have no issues with growth of corals etc.

I just can’t decide on the pro of the standard that needs plumbing.

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing NOPOX but the algae just out competes it. I have no issues with growth of corals etc.

I just can’t decide on the pro of the standard that needs plumbing.
Anyone got any strong opinions either way?

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a surf 4. I was just about to pull the trigger on an ice cap when I saw how much light spill they have. I'm running a cryptic zone in the sump so that was the deal breaker for me.
I didn’t know what a ‘cryptic zone’ was so had to google. :) where did you buy your Surf 4 from?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone own and have an opinion on the new re-designed ice cap pro algae scrubber ? It seems like it has new LEDs which seem to be more water-resistant.

Capture.PNG
I absolutely love mine and in fact just cleaned it an hour ago. This is after three weeks from last cleaning. I have the large one.

1712588638673.png
1712588656259.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went with a surf 4. I was just about to pull the trigger on an ice cap when I saw how much light spill they have. I'm running a cryptic zone in the sump so that was the deal breaker for me.
The new one little light spill compared to previous Ice Cap I had

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back