New Reef Help

1913w1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 20 gallon tank two weeks ago with pink figi sand and live rock I tested 2 days later and my ammonea was at .5 a few days went on at .5 and around a week my ammonea dropped to 0 and nitrites were at .25 and nitrates at 5, Iv been putting in frozen mysis everother day and at around a week and a half my nitrates have gone up to 10 but nitrites remain at .25 using a api test kit for all. Iv preschedualed to get 2 clown fish on the 17th that will be week 3 of this process. I feel as if all has gone well, what are thoughts? Will the nitrite zone drop to zero. I also used api quick start when filling my tank but no other drops or chemical. I could try to reschedule.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably be ok. I’d pick up some bottled bacteria to speed things along. Dr. Tim’s nitrifying bacteria is an example. But any saltwater nitrifying bacteria should help.

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the above, you are careful and cautious and this will pay off well - be ready for a few partial water changes, just to get started.

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 20 gallon tank two weeks ago with pink figi sand and live rock I tested 2 days later and my ammonea was at .5 a few days went on at .5 and around a week my ammonea dropped to 0 and nitrites were at .25 and nitrates at 5, Iv been putting in frozen mysis everother day and at around a week and a half my nitrates have gone up to 10 but nitrites remain at .25 using a api test kit for all. Iv preschedualed to get 2 clown fish on the 17th that will be week 3 of this process. I feel as if all has gone well, what are thoughts? Will the nitrite zone drop to zero. I also used api quick start when filling my tank but no other drops or chemical. I could try to reschedule.
get some bottled bacteria, but fortunately nitrites aren't a huge deal in SW

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1913w1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the help I tend to over analyze and over think everything so I picked up some bottled bacteria and some nrytrifing bacteria and plan on dosing that asap at abt 1ppm of ammonea since I already have a bit of a foundation in the tank im hopeing this will raise my foundation, I than plan on ridding that out for a week and doing a few water changes before the fish get here at the emd of the week, I will be going very slow and steady with this process.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back