New Reef Octopus Light\Macro Algae Reactor

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been wanting to try a Chaetomorpha reactor for a while and recently got the RO Light Reactor.

I have been running a refugium with Chaetomorpha and it has become a mess. It really is just a detritus trap and the detritus settles on the bottom of the fuge. It is really hard to clean or siphon out with all the little pieces of Chaeto on the bottom. Also the little pieces of chaeto start getting caught in the trap causing the water level to rise in the refugium area. They also get caught in the skimmer compartment trap and they get into my skimmers needle wheel causing the water levels to change in my skimmer. I like running different algae’s in my systems to help with biodiversity. I believe it helps combat bad algae’s like dinoflagellates, hair or cyanobacteria.

Another issue with a fuge is the light spills into other areas of the sump causing algae and especially in my skimmer (See picture below).

So hopefully this reactor solves allot of the problems. You can see in the pics how bad the bottom of the sump was with detritus and now how nice and clean it looks with the new reactor.

The quality is really nice and the red and white look very cool.

It came very well packed.

It comes with a Aquatrance 1200 Pump. It also comes with two barb fitting and two PVC slip fittings.

For more specifics on the light reactor see Coralvues website:

https://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-light-reactor

Set up was a breeze.

Also for a video on set up see their video:

I hooked mine up with red silicone tubing for the supply and hard plumbed the output.

I think it would look pretty slick with red PVC piping and white elbows. I used just white because that is what I had.

If you can afford it and have the room I would go for the larger reactor, this would allow for more algae to grow before having to remove it. The main disadvantage of the light reactor is it must be removed from the sump to remove the algae. With a refugium you can just reach in and grab a hand full of algae and throw it out.. It is a trade off and I think it will actually be much less maintenance overall with the light reactor. It will be much easier to clean the refugium compartment because it won’t be trapping all the detritus and all the little pieces of chaeto. I won’t have to clean out the protein skimmer of algae or the little pieces of cheato that get trapped in the needle wheel. I won’t have to continually remove the algae from the compartment divider fins and the salinity levels will stay much more stable because the fins in the sump wont clog with cheato.

With the reef Octopus Light Reactor the sump looks neat and clean and I like that, maybe a little OCD.

You can actually see the algae in the reactor so I should be able to tell when it needs to be harvested. It is a pretty cool effect the way the reactor grows.

I added a little iron, phosphate, and nitrogen to help kick start the reactor, all things algae require to grow. If your cheato is getting light in color try some iron and maybe a little iodine. My nutrients are pretty low and I will put up exactly what they are when I test them here.

I would like to update the thread every few weeks a for a while to let people know how the different algaes are growing. I added Chaetomorpha in two compartments and in the other I added caulerpa racemosa.

I will be running on reverse daylight to help with PH drop at night.

20190916_165822.jpg
20190916_170120.jpg

20190916_170141.jpg

20190916_170336.jpg
20190921_100058.jpg
20190921_103608.jpg
20190921_103628.jpg

20190921_103659.jpg
20190921_103639.jpg

In this picture you can see my current refugium lighting:

20190921_095833.jpg

In this picture you can see the detritus in the bottom of my sump.

20190921_095819.jpg

Algae in my skimmer from light spilling over from my current refugium.

20190921_095823.jpg

Plumbed:

20190921_103936.jpg

Two type of algae added:

20190921_110225.jpg

In the sump.
In this picture you can see how clean the bottom of my sump is now.

20190921_111746.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for this review! I am looking forward to your updates - I am interested in adding this #reefoctopus algae reactor at some point in the future!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to try a Chaetomorpha reactor for a while and recently got the RO Light Reactor.

I have been running a refugium with Chaetomorpha and it has become a mess. It really is just a detritus trap and the detritus settles on the bottom of the fuge. It is really hard to clean or siphon out with all the little pieces of Chaeto on the bottom. Also the little pieces of chaeto start getting caught in the trap causing the water level to rise in the refugium area. They also get caught in the skimmer compartment trap and they get into my skimmers needle wheel causing the water levels to change in my skimmer. I like running different algae’s in my systems to help with biodiversity. I believe it helps combat bad algae’s like dinoflagellates, hair or cyanobacteria.

Another issue with a fuge is the light spills into other areas of the sump causing algae and especially in my skimmer (See picture below).

So hopefully this reactor solves allot of the problems. You can see in the pics how bad the bottom of the sump was with detritus and now how nice and clean it looks with the new reactor.

The quality is really nice and the red and white look very cool.

It came very well packed.

It comes with a Aquatrance 1200 Pump. It also comes with two barb fitting and two PVC slip fittings.

For more specifics on the light reactor see Coralvues website:

https://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-light-reactor

Set up was a breeze.

Also for a video on set up see their video:

I hooked mine up with red silicone tubing for the supply and hard plumbed the output.

I think it would look pretty slick with red PVC piping and white elbows. I used just white because that is what I had.

If you can afford it and have the room I would go for the larger reactor, this would allow for more algae to grow before having to remove it. The main disadvantage of the light reactor is it must be removed from the sump to remove the algae. With a refugium you can just reach in and grab a hand full of algae and throw it out.. It is a trade off and I think it will actually be much less maintenance overall with the light reactor. It will be much easier to clean the refugium compartment because it won’t be trapping all the detritus and all the little pieces of chaeto. I won’t have to clean out the protein skimmer of algae or the little pieces of cheato that get trapped in the needle wheel. I won’t have to continually remove the algae from the compartment divider fins and the salinity levels will stay much more stable because the fins in the sump wont clog with cheato.

With the reef Octopus Light Reactor the sump looks neat and clean and I like that, maybe a little OCD.

You can actually see the algae in the reactor so I should be able to tell when it needs to be harvested. It is a pretty cool effect the way the reactor grows.

I added a little iron, phosphate, and nitrogen to help kick start the reactor, all things algae require to grow. If your cheato is getting light in color try some iron and maybe a little iodine. My nutrients are pretty low and I will put up exactly what they are when I test them here.

I would like to update the thread every few weeks a for a while to let people know how the different algaes are growing. I added Chaetomorpha in two compartments and in the other I added caulerpa racemosa.

I will be running on reverse daylight to help with PH drop at night.

20190916_165822.jpg
20190916_170120.jpg

20190916_170141.jpg

20190916_170336.jpg
20190921_100058.jpg
20190921_103608.jpg
20190921_103628.jpg

20190921_103659.jpg
20190921_103639.jpg

In this picture you can see my current refugium lighting:

20190921_095833.jpg

In this picture you can see the detritus in the bottom of my sump.

20190921_095819.jpg

Algae in my skimmer from light spilling over from my current refugium.

20190921_095823.jpg

Plumbed:

20190921_103936.jpg

Two type of algae added:

20190921_110225.jpg

In the sump.
In this picture you can see how clean the bottom of my sump is now.

20190921_111746.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing! The sump is definitely looking cleaner! Can't wait to see the growth in the weeks ahead!

Thank you for this review! I am looking forward to your updates - I am interested in adding this #reefoctopus algae reactor at some point in the future!

Thanks for hashtagging this thread so we can both following along! ;)

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which is better? This or the Tunze version?

I do not have two units to compare. I can only say what I see the differences are and what Ii like about the RO.
Tunze makes good products too.
The main differences I see are RO has different compartments.
For me I like the separate compartments since I like biodiversity and want to grow different algae. I wish I had a another different algae to try in the 3rd compartment. Maybe I will get some from Algae barn like red ogo.

Also the light is in the middle of the RO light reactor which to me should provide better illumination. This picture is from CV site and shows lighting on 3 sides.

1569938401674.png

The Tunze does rotate the algae.

I think another difference is the RO can be hard or soft plumbed.

I think the RO also looks much better. I like the glow of light it puts out and the white and red. Certainly that should not be the main reason to buy a piece of equipment. Main reason is it does it job, lasts and is good quality but it certainly does not hurt that it looks nice.

I will say since the unit is partially see through I can already see the algae has increased. I will try to get some more pictures tonight. The unit has been flawless so far and no leaks. This Reactor is extremely high quality. So far I would recommend it and is serving it purpose.

Last edited:

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is working still? Has the cheato filled all the way up yet?

I still do not see how easy it is to clean out the cheato. If you unscrew the top lid, how do you take out the cheato rack without displacing the outlet connection/tubing/pipe since it is attached to the upper lid?

Afm32607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the effort to take it apart? I wouldn’t imagine you had to clean it out yet but what would you expect having put it together? 15 minutes? 30?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is of last weekend.. Not to bad.. My nutrients are extremely low to begin with.. I am actually surprised with my nutrients being so low how much it did grow. I pulled the Caulerpa racemosa because it was not growing at all but I believe it has to do with my nutrients more than the reactor..

From this:
1571763188046.png

To this:

1571762665079.png

I will be posting how my first cleaning went in the next post a little latter:

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is of last weekend.. Not to bad.. My nutrients are extremely low to begin with.. I am actually surprised with my nutrients being so low how much it did grow. I pulled the Caulerpa racemosa because it was not growing at all but I believe it has to do with my nutrients more than the reactor..

From this:
1571763188046.png

To this:

1571762665079.png

I will be posting how my first cleaning went in the next post a little latter:

Nice growth!

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the first cleaning I could have just leaned it against the side of the sump and pulled the top off because I have the clearance. For photos I just remove it from the sump to make it easier.
When removing it shut the valve that at the bottom for the pump feed. I didn't at first and ended up with a little water on the floor.

Start by loosening the thumb screws. They do not need to be removed, just loosened.

1571764249212.png

Turn the top and pull.. The top with the led strip will come out.
I did not have much of anything on the led strip so I just wiped it down with a soft towel.
The led are encased in a tube so the water does not get into them just like on a UV sterilizer.
I didn't remove the tube over the leds but I believe it is removable if need be from the top of the reactor.
I see no reason too remove it.

1571763873021.png

I took a picture with the leds on.

1571763901188.png

Next removed the rack that holds the Algae and remove some of the Algae.
I actually removed it all and cleaned the rack. I just took it and sprayed it with a sprayer.
I then put a little algae on all three rack to start all over. Reassemble.

1571764194854.png

All and all not to bad to clean. My refugium is still clean and I did not have chaeto pieces all over my sump.
I had a very small pile of detritus which was easy to siphon out. All the detritus was not sitting in my giant ball off cheato like before and was in the mechanical filtration section of my sump making it easier to clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I did not get much growth this past two weeks.

It has nothing to do with the reactor though. My nitrates and phosphates are really low.
Nitrates on the left and phosphates on the right.

1572892388501.png

I removed a bunch of fish from the system that were temporarily being house here and moved them to their new aquariums.

I also took a few of the tanks off line till I have something to put in them.
Why heat or have to add more water for evaporation if I do not need to.

Basically my load now is really low..

My cheato in my fuge was growing real fast and had slowed right before adding the light reactor so my nutrients were already bottoming out.

I still had some growth but not enough to photograph yet.

Once I add my breeding pairs of clowns to the system they will add allot of load because they are fed real heavy.

Looking at the picture below the light reactor is in the right sump and was running the 6 tanks on the right. 3 are only in operation now the other fish are moved to the other systems.

1572892820514.png

I am very happy with the light reactor and will continue to use it. I like how clean my sump is with it. Looking at the first few weeks there was allot of growth.

I will continue to update this thread and answer any questions if I can.

I am hoping to pick up 2 or 3 pairs of clowns soon.. That should help with nutrients.

I am thinking of adding the light reactor to the 120 gallon system on the left temporarily.

I think this would be great on my fish growout system when it gets built. They are always very high nitrates. I may actually have to pick up the larger one for that system.. That probably is more than a year or so down the road.

Last edited:

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share a picture of results for someone else too.
This is after two weeks and photo is from @Reef_republik with permission.

1574446161582.png

I have one on order. No one mentioned that a fuge light would make the sump disgusting and overrun with algae on EVERYTHING. What size PVC did you use for the return?

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the RO LR-150 to my reefer 350 yesterday. My nitrates have been between 25-35 ppm for a year and no matter what I tried I could not seem to get them down. I hope this reactor works. I do love the way it looks in my sump. I have a couple questions. I am running Chaeto in all 3 chambers. How should I set flow and light intensity to start? Do I ramp up both as it grows or set it and forget it? Thank you.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@shred5 How many hours are you running the light on the reactor and do you have the leds turned all the way up?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back