New reef tank for an old school guy

I would assume it could read a bit low, but it is easy enough to test. Mix a small batch with RO water to a known concentration and test it.

1% = 10,000 ppm
So 3% = 30,000 ppm

If we want a 1 ppm test solution, we need a 30,000:1 dilution from ammonia in RO water.

First, take exactly 1 mL of ammonia and add it to 99 mL of RO water.
You now have a stock solution of 300 ppm ammonia.

Next, take 1 mL of that solution and add it to 299 mL of RO water.
You now have a final solution of 1 ppm ammonia.

Make sure you rinse everything between solution one and solution two.

Test it with your kit to verify.

Or save the hassle and spend $10 on a new API test kit. 🙃
lol I went with the latter
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new