New Reef Tank Suggestions

Ian.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. I'm looking to get back into the wide world of reef tanks and came here looking for suggestions. I'm not new to the game, but I might as well be since my last set up was about 15 years ago and I see technology has changed quite a bit since.

I'm looking to build a reef tank, nothing too extravagant, possibly adding a few fish down the road. I kind of like the idea of a smaller tank (32g ish) with the possibility of increasing size depending on how things go as time goes on. I'm not really limited in space, I plan on setting it up in my temperature controlled basement. I'm not looking to break the bank right out of the gate, so something that will get me going with the ability to slowly upgrade would be perfect.

I've been looking at the Coaralife Biocube 32 LED as a possible contender. What are your thoughts on this setup? Lighting seems to be the biggest limiting factor so possibly an upgrade depending on what I want to keep in the tank?

If you were to start from scratch, building a modest setup that has room for upgrades, how would you do it?

I really appreciate the time and I look forward to diving back into this world.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was me I'd go as big as budget and space allows... I started w 60cube then upgraded to 93 cube and still regret not going larger

OP
OP
I

Ian.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was me I'd go as big as budget and space allows... I started w 60cube then upgraded to 93 cube and still regret not going larger
I appreciate the reply. I understand your logic, however, I think what I'm looking for now is something smaller where less goes further. My last tank was a 250 gallon, and while I loved that tank, when I'd spend $150+ on a coral, it seemed to get lost in the size.

I think something smaller would give me the opportunity to spend a little more on quality equipment and coral.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back