New Reef Tank

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm very new to the hobby of SW and had a few questions about the requirements of coral in a tank. I am going to have a 10 gallon tank to start and was wondering what all i will need to sucessfully grow coral. thanks

nolen502

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of money and alot of patience lol, but serioulsy, a good test kit, good salt mix, good lighting(leds would be best i think) oh and alot of research

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off welcome to reef2reef... For a 10 gal not much you could get away with water changes and nothing else really... Besides lighting I would look into some decent lights t5 or a mh clamp on etc.... All you need is a couple pieces of rock, sufficient lighting and water changes... Oh yeah a power head would be need to get some flow in there... Start simple and work your way into it... If you have the money a hob skimmer would be my first purchase after lighting.... Feel free to ask as many questions as you got were here to help..;)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

IF at all possible, I'd consider starting out with a larger tank! I recommend a minimum of a 40, for a beginner, maybe a 29. Any smaller than that and it's going to be a bit more difficult!

Smaller tanks are MUCH more demanding, than larger tanks. Parameter swings happen very quickly, in a small volume of water. Also, later tanks are actually somewhat easier to find equipment for.

Those things in mind, read LOTS!! Do lots of research, ask LOTS of questions! That's what we're all here for!

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good water .. good test kit ..good filter .. T5 lighting i would start with intill you go bigger because it will happen sooner or later .. just remember this hobby is about time so please please when you set up your tank take your time dont rush anything .. welcome to reef2reef .. there is alot of guys on here that do know alot about the hobby please feel free to ask ..

just remember too .. the smaller the tank the faster things happen and can go wrong .. i would really think about going 40 or bigger .. best way to really start out is with a 55

OP
OP
W

WesMeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 55 gallon, but wasn't sure what all would be required for it either. I also have a 6 gallon nanocube. would i need anything extra for the nano? like i said, sorta new to SW. Thanks

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back