New Reef Tank

1995reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My New Custom Aquarium reef Tank is coming tomorrow. 60wx36dx 24h 215 Gallon.I am also installing a Sapphire Sump CR44 Trigger System.My Question is it better to fill the tank and put the right amount of water in the Sump for the Maxspect ad 600 skimmer. I have never run a system with a sump. I will have 2 drains lines and 2 overflows lines for the external Overflow+ 2 Return pumps,1 direct line 1 for the UV sterilizer. All lines will have Gate Valve to adjust flow. So which way is best way to fill and run tank and sump ???

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. Yes you will want to fill tank and sump - when you start the siphon for you over flow and run it for the first time you may need to add or remove water to get the levels to keep where your want them. One thing important- when you turn your pumps off- some tank water will drain into sump. It’s important to test this to make sure it doesn’t over flow the sump. A check valve will help a lot here.
Hope this helps answer your question, I can’t wait to see your set up. I hope you do a build thread my friend!
Happy reefing!

OP
OP
1995reefer

1995reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. Yes you will want to fill tank and sump - when you start the siphon for you over flow and run it for the first time you may need to add or remove water to get the levels to keep where your want them. One thing important- when you turn your pumps off- some tank water will drain into sump. It’s important to test this to make sure it doesn’t over flow the sump. A check valve will help a lot here.
Hope this helps answer your question, I can’t wait to see your set up. I hope you do a build thread my friend!
Happy reefing!
Thanks very much for your Help.Where would the Check Valve go have 2 drain lines,2 overflow lines ? The height of the Drain lines in the overflow is more of a concern.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check valves go on the return line, as close to return pump as possible. It should be installed vertically. If ur sump doesn't have skimmer water level adjustable baffle then u can raise/lower skimmer by building a pvc platform for it.
That's a nice tank size BTW, GL.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back