New Reefer Here

Hello, I'm Chillvein and I am a new reefer. I'm actually pretty new to both freshwater and saltwater. I have 2 freshwater tanks, 90G and 20G, and then I have a 55G saltwater tank. I have my saltwater tank setup in my room. I'm using a single canister rated for 55g with a hob filter thing, I know I know, I should have probably went a little bigger on the filtration side. I actually thought I bought a bigger canister then realized it was rated for what I have when i got home. I also just recently added a Coralife DC Controlled HOB Protein Skimmer, and for lighting I have a NICREW 36 Watt Reef Light. My tank has only been up for about 2 months and I have already made mistakes. My first week I added a Tomato Clown Fish and a small Anemone which all seem to be doing really great. I also have some other fish in there butterfly angelfish, diamond goby, coral beauty, and like 6 banggai cardinalfish and then I have banded shrimp, a chocolate chip starfish, and hermit crabs. Last night I went and picked up a Royal gramma and he seems to not be doing good. I got him home and floated him and he was kinda laying on his side so instead of waiting the full time I hurried and rushed putting him into the tank. So far he's just hiding under one of my live rock and hasn't came out. Is there anything i can do to help? Also what other kinds of things can i add to my setup to help improve it?
2 things that stood out:

A coral beauty might get a little aggressive with some of those fish.

Also, are you checking your ammonia? How are you acclimating new fish?
 
Last edited:
Welcome! Glad to have you
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new