New reefer looking for a test kit (recommendations)

bluehusky424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a test kit/ set of kits to use for a beginner level saltwater tank. Ill be doing mostly softies, maybe dipping my toes into lps if it goes well.
I saw this set of test kits that seemed to cover most everything: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-master-test-kit-bundle-bulk-reef-supply.html
Wondering if that will be good for me, or if there are other parameters i should be more concerned with. I heard the API test kit is junk so I will stay away from it.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I didn’t look at the brs, but I used Red Sea and was really happy until I got Hanna testers as digital is better for me than seeing color changes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend Hanna for phosphate (I use the ULR version). For nitrate the HR Hanna is nice but if you want to save some money I’ve used salifert and like it also. I also use Hanna for alkalinity and magnesium, but I’ve used the Red Sea pro kit for these and calcium and never had an issue with any of them either.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just beginning and soft corals, you could probably get by with just Nitrate and Phosphate honestly

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to amazon and get Salifert for Alk, Calcium and maybe Nitrate. This is enough for now. They are cheaper, super accurate and easy to use.

Come back to phosphate later, if at all. You don't need to really test magnesium if you are doing softies and can add it in a ratio with calcium.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need the hanna alk. The salifert or red sea pro are both cheaper and do the same thing quicker.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use Hanna, work for me, I like numbers. Ca Alk NO3 PO4 and PH. Mg dont test much but salifert, using AF Reef salts keeps its proper w water changes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only hanna test kit that I think everyone should have if possible is the phosphorus ulr or phosphate ulr. Everything else can be done cheaper. However, I really like the hanna hr nitrate test kit, particularly since I am colorblind.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a test kit/ set of kits to use for a beginner level saltwater tank. Ill be doing mostly softies, maybe dipping my toes into lps if it goes well.
I saw this set of test kits that seemed to cover most everything: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-master-test-kit-bundle-bulk-reef-supply.html
Wondering if that will be good for me, or if there are other parameters i should be more concerned with. I heard the API test kit is junk so I will stay away from it.
I bought that. They are al easy and fairly accurate. Be sure to test regularly and record your results in a log.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back