New Salifert calcium test kits

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had to get a new calcium test kit and the only test kits I’ve used for the past 30 years have been Salifert, so I picked up a calcium test kit and see if that they came out with a new test kit for calcium. It’s no longer a three step test kit. It’s only a two step test kit, they eliminated the step where you have to add 10 drops of the reagent to the sample water, you still collect 2ml of water then add one spoon of that purple powder and then with the syringe you add that solution down to 60ml on the syringe, and the water is supposed to turn pink then you continue to add the solution from the syringe until it turns purple, I followed the directions, and for some reason the water will not turn pink. I tried everything I could think of to get the water to turn pink, and it only stays blue, so I ordered another test kit and the same problem with the new test kit, has anyone had the same problem ?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had to get a new calcium test kit and the only test kits I’ve used for the past 30 years have been Salifert, so I picked up a calcium test kit and see if that they came out with a new test kit for calcium. It’s no longer a three step test kit. It’s only a two step test kit, they eliminated the step where you have to add 10 drops of the reagent to the sample water, you still collect 2ml of water then add one spoon of that purple powder and then with the syringe you add that solution down to 60ml on the syringe, and the water is supposed to turn pink then you continue to add the solution from the syringe until it turns purple, I followed the directions, and for some reason the water will not turn pink. I tried everything I could think of to get the water to turn pink, and it only stays blue, so I ordered another test kit and the same problem with the new test kit, has anyone had the same problem ?
If I am remembering correctly, blue is the endpoint. If adding just a little of the liquid reagent makes the solution blue, the calcium level is very low.

Instead of adding 0.6 mL of reagent at the start, add it drop wise from the start.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stays blue that means you calcium is lower than 300

Floyd_UK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stays blue that means you calcium is lower than 300
Make sure that you are not moving the container after you add the powder, if you do then it will turn blue, I also add the second part down to 40, it should then turn pink when swirled.

OP
OP
Outlaw Corals

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am remembering correctly, blue is the endpoint. If adding just a little of the liquid reagent makes the solution blue, the calcium level is very low.

Instead of adding 0.6 mL of reagent at the start, add it drop wise from the start.
The last test I took with the old kit I was at 415 then I dosed and waited 24 hours and test it again with the new kit and it’s just blue, I have to be around 450 or 460 after dosing

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is the only calcium test kit I have been using. 2ml water, 1 scoop, .6ml liquid swirl and it turns pink. Then I drip till blue. I test 3 tanks at a time with no issues. Last week two were 440 and the third 450. I've started using a magnetic stirrer but the results are the same as when I just swirled it around.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others. Only add a few drops from the syringe instead of 0.6 mL to begin, then swirl. The reagent in the old kit may have been out of date or compromised resulting in a reading that was too high.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that you are not moving the container after you add the powder, if you do then it will turn blue, I also add the second part down to 40, it should then turn pink when swirled.
it doesnt matter if the vial gets moved while the powder is in it thats not whats wrong here.
Im gonna agree with the others here, that the old test kit was off.

But if the OP wants to be certain, get another new kit from somewhere, and test with that for confirmation

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s 2ml sample, level scoop dry, .6ml liquid and swirl.
Now it should be pink with .4ml left for drop by drop.
One drop at a time swirl until blue point.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately for reefers, exact calcium values are not very important. Both 415 and 460 ppm are perfectly fine. :)
But under 300 wouldn't be ok
And if the salifert test turns blue immediately upon adding the 0.6ml of reagent then it’s below 300 according to the test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But under 300 wouldn't be ok
And if the salifert test turns blue immediately upon adding the 0.6ml of reagent then it’s below 300 according to the test.

OK, I understand now what he is saying, although from 2 tests alone I’m not sure which is correct (if either).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has more and suggests the new kit has problems if calcium is about 350 ppm or less:

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others. Only add a few drops from the syringe instead of 0.6 mL to begin, then swirl. The reagent in the old kit may have been out of date or compromised resulting in a reading that was too high.
The required NaOH to set the sample to pH 10 is now contained in the EDTA titration solution instead being separate bottles. If only a few drops are added, magnesium could interfere with the result because the sample pH isn't high enough.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The required NaOH to set the sample to pH 10 is now contained in the EDTA titration solution instead being separate bottles. If only a few drops are added, magnesium could interfere with the result because the sample pH isn't high enough.
Not sure what your point is .

I'm using the latest version of the kit and have been for the past 3 years. Ca-1 is the lavender granules and Ca-2 is the clear liquid. The instructions indicate 0.6 of the liquid be added and then to swirl the liquid and it should be pink. His is blue suggesting that he has already beyond the point where the color changes to blue.

I have personally had problems with this test kit when the expiration date had passed last year. In my case, I had kept my Calcium around 470. Over a period of weeks, the level began dropping. I started raising my dosing, but it kept dropping. I assumed I was using more calcium than previously because I had several montipora than had put on a big growth spurt. Even as I increased the dosage, the level continued dropping all the way back into the 350 - 400 range. At that point, I realized my kit was past the expiration date. I got a new kit and found that my level had actually gone up to 540. The increased dosing had pushed me over the top of one full vial of the Ca-2.

If he adds only a few drops (or maybe 0.3) to begin instead of 0.6 , the color should be pink. The instructions say to "always add at least 0.6 ml.......This will allow for faster testing". The chart on the instructions show if 0.40 remains in the syringe, calcium is at 300. if the vial has already changed to blue, then the calcium would be less than 300.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your point is .

I'm using the latest version of the kit and have been for the past 3 years. Ca-1 is the lavender granules and Ca-2 is the clear liquid. The instructions indicate 0.6 of the liquid be added and then to swirl the liquid and it should be pink. His is blue suggesting that he has already beyond the point where the color changes to blue.

I have personally had problems with this test kit when the expiration date had passed last year. In my case, I had kept my Calcium around 470. Over a period of weeks, the level began dropping. I started raising my dosing, but it kept dropping. I assumed I was using more calcium than previously because I had several montipora than had put on a big growth spurt. Even as I increased the dosage, the level continued dropping all the way back into the 350 - 400 range. At that point, I realized my kit was past the expiration date. I got a new kit and found that my level had actually gone up to 540. The increased dosing had pushed me over the top of one full vial of the Ca-2.

If he adds only a few drops (or maybe 0.3) to begin instead of 0.6 , the color should be pink. The instructions say to "always add at least 0.6 ml.......This will allow for faster testing". The chart on the instructions show if 0.40 remains in the syringe, calcium is at 300. if the vial has already changed to blue, then the calcium would be less than 300.
My point is that at least 0.6ml titration solution needs to be added into the sample (before shaking) to prepare it for proper measurement. Adding at least 0.6ml test solution at once will increase the pH to 10 and prevent magnesium interference with the result. This has nothing to do with being faster even if it is written there. It's required for accuracy. The new salifert test kits aren't suitable anymore to accurately test calcium levels below 310mg/l.

Last edited:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is that at least 0.6ml titration solution needs to be added into the sample (before shaking) to prepare it for proper measurement. Adding at least 0.6ml test solution at once will increase the pH to 10 and prevent magnesium interference with the result. This has nothing to do with being faster even if it is written there. It's required for accuracy. The new salifert test kits aren't suitable anymore to accurately test calcium levels below 310mg/l.
OK, so I'm not a chemist, but I understand what you are saying.

The OP said he followed directions which included adding 0.60 of Ca2 which should have obviated the problem you described. The test still did not turn pink. Based on the instruction chart, 0.60 would leave 0.40 in the syringe which is 300, whick is consistent with your statement and with the color-coding on the table in the instructions. I still would have expected the pink color to have appeared unless his Ca concentration was too low. Then, the pink color would have persisted until the correct CA concentration was reached.

I agree that doing a drop at a time from 0 would not likely work. As a test, I used my water and kit and started with 0.50 instead of 0.60 of Ca-2. The water turned pink, and I got the same results as when I started with the higher amount. But following the instructions to a "T" should be the standard to avoid any confusion.

So, I retract my advice to start with a few drops.

I reach the same conclusion as before that the OPs calcium was likely in the low (if not below) 300's. I also reiterate I experienced lower than actual test results when my test kit was out of date ( bad measurement was in the 350 - 400 range, correct measurement was over 500) and anyone using the Salifert Ca kit should not ignore the expiration date.

Thanks for your correction.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back