New Reefing Method - No Bottle Reefing, or NBR

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIssion/Goals of this Method:
I would really be excited to see lots of people sign up for this until manufacturers disclose what is in their products and what the purity levels are. Lots of people complain about the manufactuers and vendors, but this is the only way that I can think of to force some action on their part. If enough of us stop using products that do not disclose contents and purity, somebody will start doing it to gain the market share and more will follow.

Given all of the inconsistencies, black box trust-me promises, lack of purity and transparency of supplement manufacturers, there are many of us who just don't trust many of them anymore.

There are also many hobbyists who never put anything in their tank that they buy in a bottle that is pre-made.

This thread is to help people who want to ditch these supplement companies and never use the unknown again. Questions and answers should be the focus and not discussion on why somebody might want to do this. Another thread can be started for pro/con discussion.

I will kick this off with my formula if it helps:
  1. Super stable salt mix using Muriatic Acid to lower dKh (Lowes/Home Depot) and Prestone Driveway Heat or Dowflake to raise calcium. I use IO. Food grade calcium chloride is probably better, but I have a lot of this stuff.
  2. I use a CaRx for the big 3, plus whatever else melts from coral skeletons.
  3. I currently use Ferrion from Brightwell (out of a bottle) for Iron, but I will be making my own from Fergonwith this advice from Dr. Holmes-Farley:
    Take 1 tablet and dissolve in 100 mL RO/DI (overnight soak). Let the solids settle out and use the liquid. Then I dose about 1-5 mL to my 200 gallons (dose is not critical) occasionally.
Fergon:

To lower alk with muriatic acid, this is a good start:

Gallons * desired dKh drop * .123 = ML of muriatic acid to use.

Does anybody else need help making their own supplement out of ingredients with a known list of ingredients?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what people need can be found here, but folks might want more details laid out and a plan to follow. I get that. Please ask any questions and somebody surely can help.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there could be things that need to be added, like if somebody wants to know how to make a home made Amino Acid supplement out of known quality ingredients. We can skip if aminos are needed or a good idea and try and get a good answer on how to make something yourself.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody has a routine that does not rely (mostly) on bottled supplements, please post your methods and reasoning for others to learn.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use any bottles of aquarium grade anything. . I run big skimmer, big calcium reactor and a small calcium reactor full of magnesium. Also run kalk reactor. I export mainly cheato about 2-3 gallons a week. I rarely test for anything besides salinity, caLucius , magnesium and alkalinity. I rarely test my water unless there is an issue. I always test my water change water and match alkalinity

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about this some more and I would really be excited to see lots of people sign up for this until manufacturers disclose what is in their products and what the purity levels are. Lots of people complain about the manufactuers and vendors, but this is the only way that I can think of to force some action on their part. If enough of us stop using products that do not disclose contents and purity, somebody will start doing it to gain the market share and more will follow.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two-part + Kalk + water changes + fish food. Iron for chaeto. That’s it.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anybody who is using bottled products who is fed up and wants to pledge not to use any until manufacturers get more transparent? If enough of us do so, someone might start to list ingredients and purity levels. I am not even talking about actual tests and research, since that is not likely to ever happen before ingredients and purity... but baby steps.

We can likely help you find a way to create your own elixir for what you are using now... and by we, I mostly mean @Randy Holmes-Farley or one of us searching for something that Dr. Holmes-Farley already wrote about.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vibrant-reef-8oz.jpg

@jda :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I disagree :D

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a good point about some bottled products. But I wouldn't say it's "no bottle" is a new method. Here's some of my "no bottle systems":

This system gets weekly 5% water changes (tap water filtered through carbon) and baking soda sporadically

This system received weekly 5% water changes (RO) and used a calcium reactor and kalkwasser reactor.

This system got ~10% water changes (Tapwater) every 2-3 weeks and baking soda sporadically

This system gets about 2-3% weekly water changes (water from a water softener) and baking soda sporadically

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back