New Regal angel

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a new regal angel yesterday and noticed that it has a few white patches on its fins. It’s hard to show in a picture, but they looked bigger than what I’ve seen with ich and looked a bit “fuzzy”, making me think it might be bacterial.
I did manage to get it to eat frozen clam in a half shell last night (which I was thrilled about).
Unfortunately general cure seems to be out of stock everywhere. It does seem to be swimming well and otherwise acting normally - a bit skittish, but less than I expected.

I do have sulfaplex, kanaplex, prazipro, methylene blue, Maricyn, rally pro, hydroplex, and I have some metroplex ordered.
What is it?
What do I do?

I have it in a 54g corner tank that is newly set up and seeded with several bio blocks from the sump of my established display tank. Specific gravity of 1.020, temperature of 76.5 (slowly adjusting up from the received temp of 75.5 yesterday). The water it was shipped in was also 1.020.
I had intended on putting it in a quarantine time but was advised to try to give him a tank that is more like a display tank than a quarantine tank so I threw one together the day before. I did have a freshwater setup in it prior to switch over to saltwater.
It does have a canister filter. I figured that was better than the sponge filter I’d otherwise use in a quarantine tank. I can add a cycled sponge filter if useful. There is also a hydor power head in the tank.
I use RODI water and Red Sea Coral pro salt. I guess I didn’t check pH or other parameters but it’s from RODI water made the day before, (TDS 0) and salt that was mixed the night before and put in the tank that morning.
Thanks for your help!

EBAD101B-E04A-4F51-87D9-A66DF0C0802F.jpeg D7C55F8C-82C1-4E65-A8C5-672DF5DF8A88.jpeg C7BBE5D4-3AC1-496E-BD27-C4B41996A5C3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its lymphocystis and not uncommon on these angels. Lympho generally associated with water quality, diet or both.
Its likely the shipper's water or bag water that contributed to this. As long as you provide clean and good quality water environment and proper diet ( do add garlic extract to foods ) for immunity health. . . It will fall off the fish on its' own in a few weeks (3-6weeks)

OP
OP
Lilnoelle80

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its lymphocystis and not uncommon on these angels. Lympho generally associated with water quality, diet or both.
Its likely the shipper's water or bag water that contributed to this. As long as you provide clean and good quality water environment and proper diet ( do add garlic extract to foods ) for immunity health. . . It will fall off the fish on its' own in a few weeks (3-6weeks)
Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a new regal angel yesterday and noticed that it has a few white patches on its fins. It’s hard to show in a picture, but they looked bigger than what I’ve seen with ich and looked a bit “fuzzy”, making me think it might be bacterial.
I did manage to get it to eat frozen clam in a half shell last night (which I was thrilled about).
Unfortunately general cure seems to be out of stock everywhere. It does seem to be swimming well and otherwise acting normally - a bit skittish, but less than I expected.

I do have sulfaplex, kanaplex, prazipro, methylene blue, Maricyn, rally pro, hydroplex, and I have some metroplex ordered.
What is it?
What do I do?

I have it in a 54g corner tank that is newly set up and seeded with several bio blocks from the sump of my established display tank. Specific gravity of 1.020, temperature of 76.5 (slowly adjusting up from the received temp of 75.5 yesterday). The water it was shipped in was also 1.020.
I had intended on putting it in a quarantine time but was advised to try to give him a tank that is more like a display tank than a quarantine tank so I threw one together the day before. I did have a freshwater setup in it prior to switch over to saltwater.
It does have a canister filter. I figured that was better than the sponge filter I’d otherwise use in a quarantine tank. I can add a cycled sponge filter if useful. There is also a hydor power head in the tank.
I use RODI water and Red Sea Coral pro salt. I guess I didn’t check pH or other parameters but it’s from RODI water made the day before, (TDS 0) and salt that was mixed the night before and put in the tank that morning.
Thanks for your help!

EBAD101B-E04A-4F51-87D9-A66DF0C0802F.jpeg D7C55F8C-82C1-4E65-A8C5-672DF5DF8A88.jpeg C7BBE5D4-3AC1-496E-BD27-C4B41996A5C3.jpeg
Be sure to monitor ammonia very closely, regals don’t do super well in new setups like that. That it is eating is really a good sign with his species.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back