new return pump making overflow gurgle and bubble help

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

flyingfish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
687
Reaction score
37
Location
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a new return pump because the other one was not strong enough, flow was diminished and getting gunky. The old one was 1050gph, the new one is 1200. I had a nice setup with the old one with a diverter valve if the pump was too strong but i never used it. I hooked up the new one with 3/4 ID tubing instead of 3/4 OD tubing and pvc/valves. So I expected more flow but it seems like it may be not able to handle it with the return to the sump? I have a u tube in my overflow which seems like it is pulling too much air suction. If we partially block that hole it stops, any help would be appreciated, thanks!
 
If u have a loop in the hose from the overflow to the sump that would make it gurgle.
 
the drain from the overflow does not loop but sits on the bottom of the sump so it curves a little.
 
the hole is in the durso, i was reading that increasing the hole size can help but i dont want to do anything wrong. so I want to make sure i drill the right one
 
yeah I didn't mean a full loop. When I had mine set up and the overflow hose ran down and then came back up to drain the water it made a lot of noise. I just straightened out the hose and it took care of the problem.
 
I cut the drain tube and it is straight, but it is still gugling. What hole do we drill in the durso?
 
we increased the hole a tiny bit to insert a standard air hose line, the small ones typically used. it helped a little but not enough for sure. tried a control valve on the air hose to limit it further, did not help actually made the water level drop faster in the overflow box. so may make a bigger hole tonight and see how that goes.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444054981.985345.jpg
 
Also if you chamfer the hole it helps remember a sharp edge causes turbulence in the air were a chamfered hole flows nice with no turbulence
 
Ok drilled hole to 3/8" still making same noise. How do you get rid of the gurgling from the end of the drain hose into the sump? And the waterfall noise in the overflow?
 
Fixed it, I added a valve on the return to release some of the flow into the sump. I only had to open it a little bit, not even a 1/4 turn. quiet all the way around. :) flow is still excellent!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1444606916.766152.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new