New Ricordea Yuma Help

Tatumj96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, I should note that I have never had a Ricordea before. I only have zoas and GSP, plus some sun corals I kept for a while.

I was at my LFS the other day, as they were unpacking a new shipment I spotted a small piece of rubble with what I was pretty sure was a Ricordea Yuma, but in a color I've never seen before. It had rows of tentacles that radiated outwards from the center. It was about the size of a nickel, mostly whitish/pale green, and the tentacles were a pale yet fluorescent pinkish orange. It reminded me very much of an opal. I asked for a price before they even had a chance to look at it, and snagged it at $35. Hopefully, that'll turn out to be a great deal on a beautiful coral.

The problem soon ensued. It looked great after acclimation, amazing coloration, and was opened up. But this was as the lights were ramping down for the night. I went to sleep, woke up the next day, and went to work. When I arrived home, I saw it was almost completely detached and shrunken a little. I added some reef glue, and went back to bed. Woke up the next day, and it was gone. It had detached from the rubble, and I couldn't find it. I had to get to work, but when I returned home I found it and glued it to a frag.

The next morning, the same thing occurred. I found it when I got home that night, but did some quick research and saw that they don't glue easily. I sunk a floating breeder box, added some gravel, and dropped it in. I moved it to a dimly lit, low flow corner for the meantime. It's been about 36 hours now, it's moved around a little and I can see some color coming back, but it's very closed up.

After more research, I guess either light or flow was too high. And now I know that their slime coat makes gluing rather difficult. Hopefully it will attach to a bit of gravel soon. Can I relax and hope it comes back? What should I look out for? Any tips? I attached some half-hearted hurried attempts at photos before my moonlights shut off. It's more of a pinkish-orange than the orange in the pictures.
IMG_20200724_180848475.jpg
IMG_20200724_180823680.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
First of all, I should note that I have never had a Ricordea before. I only have zoas and GSP, plus some sun corals I kept for a while.

I was at my LFS the other day, as they were unpacking a new shipment I spotted a small piece of rubble with what I was pretty sure was a Ricordea Yuma, but in a color I've never seen before. It had rows of tentacles that radiated outwards from the center. It was about the size of a nickel, mostly whitish/pale green, and the tentacles were a pale yet fluorescent pinkish orange. It reminded me very much of an opal. I asked for a price before they even had a chance to look at it, and snagged it at $35. Hopefully, that'll turn out to be a great deal on a beautiful coral.

The problem soon ensued. It looked great after acclimation, amazing coloration, and was opened up. But this was as the lights were ramping down for the night. I went to sleep, woke up the next day, and went to work. When I arrived home, I saw it was almost completely detached and shrunken a little. I added some reef glue, and went back to bed. Woke up the next day, and it was gone. It had detached from the rubble, and I couldn't find it. I had to get to work, but when I returned home I found it and glued it to a frag.

The next morning, the same thing occurred. I found it when I got home that night, but did some quick research and saw that they don't glue easily. I sunk a floating breeder box, added some gravel, and dropped it in. I moved it to a dimly lit, low flow corner for the meantime. It's been about 36 hours now, it's moved around a little and I can see some color coming back, but it's very closed up.

After more research, I guess either light or flow was too high. And now I know that their slime coat makes gluing rather difficult. Hopefully it will attach to a bit of gravel soon. Can I relax and hope it comes back? What should I look out for? Any tips?
Don’t glue it. Tie it to a rock with loose rubber band. It will adhere itself to the rock. Rubber band is safe to use.

OP
OP
Tatumj96

Tatumj96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t glue it. Tie it to a rock with loose rubber band. It will adhere itself to the rock. Rubber band is safe to use.

Will it adhere on its own when it finds a good spot? I really don't wanna mess with it more than I have to right now if it isn't necessary. It's a very beautiful and unique color scheme, and I'd hate to lose it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes it should
Moderate light and water flow makes them happy

OP
OP
Tatumj96

Tatumj96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it should
Moderate light and water flow makes them happy

I was surprised it was unhappy. I don't have PAR readings, but I thought my lights were likely underpowered. Plus, I have my power heads along the bottom at the back of the tank, and this was originally placed halfway up the front of the tank. Didn't think flow would be too much there.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back