New rock how to add

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just bought a ton of dry rock off facebook marketplace, is it fine just to spray it off and rinse it with saltwater, adding it directly to an already setup tank. I already have a fully 3 year old setup tank i just want to add this rock to my scape. Thanks

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just bought a ton of dry rock off facebook marketplace, is it fine just to spray it off and rinse it with saltwater, adding it directly to an already setup tank. I already have a fully 3 year old setup tank i just want to add this rock to my scape. Thanks
Some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 43

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to be extra safe, you could cure it further with bleach to make sure there's nothing bad on it, then give it a bath in RODI water and saltwater for a week each. Otherwise, you could rinse it off and put it in if you're sure it's safe.

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to be extra safe, you could cure it further with bleach to make sure there's nothing bad on it, then give it a bath in RODI water and saltwater for a week each. Otherwise, you could rinse it off and put it in if you're sure it's safe.
Okay thanks i took some close ups, what would you do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 25

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably run that in a bucket of salt water with a heater and some flow for a month. Toss some GFO in there with it to suck out any phosphates. Might have an ammonia spike if you just put that in your tank.

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably run that in a bucket of salt water with a heater and some flow for a month. Toss some GFO in there with it to suck out any phosphates. Might have an ammonia spike if you just put that in your tank.
darn I was hoping to set it up tonight. do you think any of the pictures are cause for large concern, also does a high salinty dip for about an hour do anything?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s probably lots of dead stuff inside the rock, if you just toss it in your tank it could rot in your water and cause a big nutrient spike.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks i took some close ups, what would you do?
that doesn't look like dry rock to me. The previous owner probably took it out and left it to dry so a lot of dead stuff. Curing it in saltwater is like cycling the rock again so you could do that. If you really want it to be dry, then bleach it.

Back