New Rock with Zoa ID and question

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok number 1 what zoa is this. It has a maroonish center with yellow lashes. Srry not really sure how to take a better pic.

Number 2 is that cyano bacteria on the rock? It seems hard or is it coralline algae?

I picked this rock up it has about 38 polyps on it for $15 their is about 10 polyps that just won't open for some reason. And other looked liked they died off if you look at the upper left hand side of the rock looks like the stem of a polyp but it is just flapping in the current no head. Also a lot of very small zoas and they are scattered all over this rock. Not all in one patch.

I dipped them for ten minutes in Coral RX but is their anything you can see wrong with this rock and zoas. Are they dying or were they dying and they are coming back?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it in your tank? Zoas can take a couple of weeks to feel at home and open fully. I have a frag with 75 polyps or so. Only about 8 or 9 are opening, but after two weeks, a couple more open every day.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it in your tank? Zoas can take a couple of weeks to feel at home and open fully. I have a frag with 75 polyps or so. Only about 8 or 9 are opening, but after two weeks, a couple more open every day.

only been in tank 1 day lol. i guess i'm jumping the gun

DrayB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they look like what i have in my tank "eagle eye's"

12806031_10154031941432481_6493169551626975907_n.jpg

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they look alike. wonder why mine has polyps spread all over the place on the rock. Some are just by themselves.
I am just guessing, but if the person you got it from fragged from a more sparse part of the colony or from the edge of the colony, it just may not be as dense. Give it time. They will spread.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just guessing, but if the person you got it from fragged from a more sparse part of the colony or from the edge of the colony, it just may not be as dense. Give it time. They will spread.

i hope so if you look at the most dense patch of zoas to the middle left of the rock there is some sort of weed maybe algae but it is rubbing against some of the zoas and bothering them should and could i remove it?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hope so if you look at the most dense patch of zoas to the middle left of the rock there is some sort of weed maybe algae but it is rubbing against some of the zoas and bothering them should and could i remove it?
If it's algae, it can irritate them. A word of caution. Some zoas release palytoxin, which can be pretty nasty if it gets in your system. Picking at algae may cause them to exude it. May be worth wearing gloves. If it's not a lot of algae, and the frag is small, putting it in your sump with no lights for a couple of days may clean it up. Could also consider a peroxide dip. Looking at the picture, I don't see a lot of algae that would concern me from what I see.

Oh, and that's coralline algae. A good thing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back