New rodi is leaking

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gr a new bulk reef supply rodi and it is leaking in-between two of the chambers. There is a little bolt, it might just need tightened up but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out with this?

Also I already installed it under the sink and now I can't get the hoses disconnected. How exactly do I do that?

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1365118350.654645.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nylon threaded nipple connecting the lids. You will need to unscrew the canister lids from the top bracket and unscrew the connecting nipple. Once its out remove any teflon tape lecft in the threads and re wrap with about two wraps of the heacy duty teflon tape found at HD and Lowes where the natural gas and propane connecting supplies are located. That tape is usually pink or yellow colored and is much thicker and tougher than the white stuff so only takes two wraps.

Don't overtighten when reinstalling the nipple in the lids. I don't care for those particular lids, the plastic around the threaded area is pretty thin and prone to cracking. There are better lids and canisters if you have troublw with those. One of my older RO/DI systems used the same ones and I replaced them with better, thicker ones and never had a problem after that. They get small hairline cracks so small you can't see them but they drip water when presurized.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must use tape be very careful when tightening the threads...double careful if you're using the thicker style of tape.

A good read (PDF) at Spears about properly sealing threads. They actually recommend tape as a second choice due to propensity for it to be misapplied and actually cause leaks (or worse). They detail proper tape application too.

Yours is a case where testing shouldn't be too hard or complicated, so I'd probably try reeassebling it with just freshly cleaned threads to see if you still have a leak. If it still leaks after cleaning, then use thread tape as directed in the PDF linked above.

I have never needed thicker tape in any water application FWIW, and sometimes I don't need any at all. Regular white tape should be all it takes.

Hope this helps - good luck with that leak!

-Matt

P.S. If you haven't let BRS know about the problem, you should...and before you do anything else. I'd call em.

OP
OP
T

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you must use tape be very careful when tightening the threads...double careful if you're using the thicker style of tape.

A good read (PDF) at Spears about properly sealing threads. They actually recommend tape as a second choice due to propensity for it to be misapplied and actually cause leaks (or worse). They detail proper tape application too.

Yours is a case where testing shouldn't be too hard or complicated, so I'd probably try reeassebling it with just freshly cleaned threads to see if you still have a leak. If it still leaks after cleaning, then use thread tape as directed in the PDF linked above.

I have never needed thicker tape in any water application FWIW, and sometimes I don't need any at all. Regular white tape should be all it takes.

Hope this helps - good luck with that leak!

-Matt

P.S. If you haven't let BRS know about the problem, you should...and before you do anything else. I'd call em.

I called BRS and they offered to send me the part or replace the whole thing. I have them sending me a replacement unit. I figured if I tried to fix it that it would never work the same

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have done the same as you because it's a brand new unit, but honestly if you had to repair it this should have been pretty straight forward. (Just a lot of extra hassle.) No fear! ;)

-Matt

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaks at the connections is pretty common regardless of the vendor or brand. It is a very simple thing to correct but that is great they are sending you a replacement! Customer service is what its all about.

Myself I use LaCo PVC thread lubricant sticks on all PVC threads and have a write up about it in the Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post on many of the reef forums. My second choice is the thick teflon tape but as I pointed out, only two wraps are necessary and easy with the tightening. The problem with most of the nylon threaded nipples is they are close threads and they bottom out or butt up before sealing. Another is they nipples often have a mold line or seam in the threads that needs to be filed or cleaned off, another thing I point out in the Bulkhead thread.

Last edited:

Cmcnair663

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this gets corrected quickly for you. I just bought one from brs also. It is still in transit. GL.

bystykcullins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad t be part of this reeef to reef forum. As a newbie I would like to grab the opportunity to make a post concerning on house cleaning manhattan, so those home owners who could not be able to clean their house could maintain the cleanliness courtesy of the said cleaning services.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back