New salt less DKH than target Alk

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit confused about this. My target alk is 8dkh and the salt mix is 7dkh.

If I fine tune my dosing pump to maintain at 8dkh. Then I do a 10% water change so does that now mean my alk is maintaining at a lower dkh?

Or does that mean corals will consume less available alk until it rises back up to 8dkh and maintains itself? Would it be better to add alk to the salt mix to bring it to 8dkh?

@Randy Holmes-Farley

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose your new salt to 8dkh before adding. If you add salt water with a lower dKH it will bring down your tank proportional to the percentage of water you change. So if you did a 50% change with 7dkh new salt your new dKH in your tank would be 7.5.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit confused about this. My target alk is 8dkh and the salt mix is 7dkh.

If I fine tune my dosing pump to maintain at 8dkh. Then I do a 10% water change so does that now mean my alk is maintaining at a lower dkh?

Or does that mean corals will consume less available alk until it rises back up to 8dkh and maintains itself? Would it be better to add alk to the salt mix to bring it to 8dkh?

@Randy Holmes-Farley
Are you sure you’ve got it at the proper s.g.?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not unusual for the salt mix for water change to not exactly match the tank. You just need to account for that when doing water changes.

in this case, a salt mix at 7 dKH and a tank at 8 dKH, with a 15% change, the alk drops from 8 dKH to 7.85 dKH. It's not much of a drop.

You can accept the slightly lower alk, you can dose the tank, or you can dose the salt mix. I'd use baking soda.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not unusual for the salt mix for water change to not exactly match the tank. You just need to account for that when doing water changes.

in this case, a salt mix at 7 dKH and a tank at 8 dKH, with a 15% change, the alk drops from 8 dKH to 7.85 dKH. It's not much of a drop.

You can accept the slightly lower alk, you can dose the tank, or you can dose the salt mix. I'd use baking soda.
Baking soda from supermarket?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back