new salt water aquarium

hammadkatiyar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from 18 feb 2012, i have setup new salt water aquarium consist of 90 gallons of water and 30 kg of live rock with sump system.....pls advise when should i add the fish in this new setup and which fish?

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a test kit? If you do you want your ammonia and your nitrite to both read zero and the only one that should have any reading at all is your nitrate which will be high.
I would recommend on doing a 60% water change before adding any fish to drop down you nitrate level and then balance your PH to be around 8.1 to 8.3 and your ALK to be in-between 7-10 dkh. As for the fish I would start out with some hardy ones such as your basic clowns and also green/blue chromis are great beginning additions but add them slowly so you do not overload the bio-filter of the tank IE add two clown now and add some chromis down the road. But with a 90 gallon plus you should be fine to add both at the same time. But the slower you go the better your chances of success.

OP
OP
hammadkatiyar

hammadkatiyar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your reply ...i have 50 gallons sump system in which one protein skimmer, 2 cotton filters, bipo ceramic and fine sands in each portion of sump, connected with 90 gallons of my salt water aquarium....is it necessary to add UV sterlizer besides these filteration process?...........

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to reef 2 reef, I would wait on the uv sterilizer, it will take away some of the good things some of the corals may need, if you are going for a fish o nly system no problem with the uv just my opion

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as the cycle, I agree with steven, give it time to cycle, then test, don;t start adding anything until the readings are zero

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back