New Serpant Star Loosing leg and slimy

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the same...may have been too quick and stressed the guy out. Its also possible he may have been attacked by my wrasse.
I hope it pulls through, don’t give up hope just yet. Keep a close eye on it in case it begins to degrade any more. If it was the fish then the serpent star can regrow the lost leg assuming it’s left alone.

OP
OP
Salt Daddy

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it pulls through, don’t give up hope just yet. Keep a close eye on it in case it begins to degrade any more. If it was the fish then the serpent star can regrow the lost leg assuming it’s left alone
Thank you. I appreciate you saying that and I will be keeping watch on the two.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dont believe its aggression. When stars like these lose their legs, it can be bacterial health or poor water quality and even lack of diet . Starfish mainly lose their legs when theyre not getting enough food and in essence starving to death. You should always make sure that there is enough food for your starfish which eat small inverts, shrimp, larger pods and even small urchins. When starving they will bury themselves into the substrate and disintegrate and eventually starve to death.
They also cant tolerate warm temps for lengthy periods above 79 degrees

OP
OP
Salt Daddy

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont believe its aggression. When stars like these lose their legs, it can be bacterial health or poor water quality and even lack of diet . Starfish mainly lose their legs when theyre not getting enough food and in essence starving to death. You should always make sure that there is enough food for your starfish which eat small inverts, shrimp, larger pods and even small urchins. When starving they will bury themselves into the substrate and disintegrate and eventually starve to death.
I added some shrimp yesterday. I usually buy a whole shrimp and cut it up for the tank. I thought about that immediately though

OP
OP
Salt Daddy

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are correct...I just found him with ALL the shrimp....

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_134813.jpg
    IMG_20220626_134813.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Salt Daddy

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Serpent Star continues to lose legs. Should I be worried about having it around other fish?
IMG_20220627_072915.jpg

Last edited:

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear that it's doomed. :crying-face: If you see the central disc start to fall apart then probably best to remove it although I'm sure the CUC are more than capable of dealing with whatever remains.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back