New Setup - Fluval Flex 32.5 Marine Temperature

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up a new all-in-one fluval flex marine 32.5. I’m using the factory 3.0 lighting and hood. I‘m still cycling the tank. The temp fluctuates between 79 (no light) to 82(with light). 82 seems borderline high to me. I’d rather not remove the hood permanently. Anyone else had this concern with the Flex? And advice?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to find a lot of compatriots in the biocube community. Any of these AIO tanks with a lid definitely suffer from high temp swings with the lid closed and lights on. A lot of biocube users end up propping the lid open, cutting new vents or installing a nano-chiller. The cheapest solution that keeps the lid is to retrofit a small fan onto it somewhere and have it blow fresh air into the tank. You can have the fan run on a temp controller or just a timer with the lights. Nano chillers are little less DIY, but are much more expensive in the $150-300 range.

82F is borderline high, but there's tons of tanks that reach that temp without issue too, so I wouldn't stress over it too much if you don't think it's at risk of getting even hotter depending on the time of year.

DeepSeaRob17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as my LFS gets my tank in I will be setting up the same tank. I’m curious as to how you fix this. I live in San Antonio Texas... or as I call it the Devils Groin... it’s so flipping hot here and I know that will be something I have to tackle. Let me know what you come up with!! I have considered taking one of the filters out and replacing it with floss on the outside compartment where the heater would go and putting the skimmer where the filter goes, then pulling the skimmer tab off and leaving that part open.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. Opening the back will help. I don't know if I will run a skimmer yet. Depends on # of fish. I think water changes work just as good on a small tank. But a skimmer doesn’t hurt. I just got 2 Intank.com baskets. I’m going to ditch the foam and start running a combination of media. Something like this attached. I’m hoping that will lower the temp a few degrees. Keep in touch. I’d like to know how things go.

C47DDC83-28FB-4750-BA87-30FB88F09CE2.jpeg

DeepSeaRob17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to show off mine. Just got it Saturday and took the weekend to set it up. It’s starting to clear up nicely. I have not yet had an issue with the temp rising, but mine is right under an ac vent... so I’m sure that helps. I didn’t want to put it here but it was really the only place I could get away with it.

image.jpg

DeepSeaRob17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. Opening the back will help. I don't know if I will run a skimmer yet. Depends on # of fish. I think water changes work just as good on a small tank. But a skimmer doesn’t hurt. I just got 2 Intank.com baskets. I’m going to ditch the foam and start running a combination of media. Something like this attached. I’m hoping that will lower the temp a few degrees. Keep in touch. I’d like to know how things go.

C47DDC83-28FB-4750-BA87-30FB88F09CE2.jpeg
How are the new baskets going. I’m highly considering them. The foam blocks just dint catch enough of the small particles for my liking.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the foam is ok...I guess. It does keep some of the beneficial bacteria. But I will eventually lose both of them and run Intank in both chambers. None of the more advanced tanks use foam. The Intank baskets just give you a lot more flexibility to run media like chemipure, purigen, phosguard, etc. I’m considered setting one up as a refugium when my tank becomes a little more established.

HavocXT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the foam is ok...I guess. It does keep some of the beneficial bacteria. But I will eventually lose both of them and run Intank in both chambers. None of the more advanced tanks use foam. The Intank baskets just give you a lot more flexibility to run media like chemipure, purigen, phosguard, etc. I’m considered setting one up as a refugium when my tank becomes a little more established.
I found that the marina hang on back breeder box fit perfectly on the back next to the side for a refugium. I'm planing on running a algea scrubber and refugium on mine.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the marina hang on back breeder box fit perfectly on the back next to the side for a refugium. I'm planing on running a algea scrubber and refugium on mine.
That’s an interesting idea. Are you planning on growing chaeto? I don’t have any experience with alage scrubbers. Do you need to have both? Wouldn‘t the algae scrubber affect the growth of chaeto? I’m thinking an algae scrubber by itself should do the trick especially on 32g tank. Not sure though.

Last edited:

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great post! I'm setting up my fluval flex 32 for saltwater as well. I wonder if you end up setting up a refugium in your tank? should I use the middle part to grow chaeto or one of the filter basket?

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Great post! I'm setting up my fluval flex 32 for saltwater as well. I wonder if you end up setting up a refugium in your tank? should I use the middle part to grow chaeto or one of the filter basket?
Welcome to the Flex 32g family:) My tank is still fairly new. I’m waiting a couple more weeks before starting a refugium. I would keep the refugium separate from the middle chamber. You don’t want algae clogging up your pump in that chamber. I was considering setting up one of the side chambers as a refugium using a stick-on-the-glass IM refugium light. However after more research I think it would be better to use a DIY reactor. See links below.

or

Last edited:

DeepSeaRob17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the new baskets going. I’m highly considering them. The foam blocks just dint catch enough of the small particles for my liking.
The baskets are awesome. I think I’m going to leave the centers of the baskets open and add a light to the back of the tank for cheato. Right now everything is at an all stop though as I found that one of my fish had flukes. So now they are all in quarantine.

DeepSeaRob17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can...I would fresh water dip the fish. That’s very effective against fluke.
I was going to, but I would have to do it to all of them. I think it was one of my fish who I got about two weeks ago. So by then the fluke could be an adult and start producing eggs. So... 4 weeks of fallow it is. All my fish are in QT

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back