New skimmer, who dis

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve purchased my first protein skimmer for my 85 gal total volume tank and I got a temp stand set up for the skimmer ( just some small cups until I can get an actual stand lol) and I was wondering if these bubbles are too fine or not. I know they have a break in period and adjust slowly to changes so I was just wondering how it looks maybe some tips and tricks. Thank you in advance

8BF6D30C-68AF-4472-85AB-85D573234EDC.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the gate a bit more, should be a turn counter clockwise, this should bring the skim level further down the neck, and collection will not be so wet. Did you put anything in the tank to make skimmer go crazy?

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open the gate a bit more, should be a turn counter clockwise, this should bring the skim level further down the neck, and collection will not be so wet. Did you put anything in the tank to make skimmer go crazy?
Uhhh it’s on min right now and I haven’t put anything in since I dropped the skimmer in

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in operation? It might be skimming to eliminate doc's that were present. If it doesn't calm down in a week or so, you may need to raise it up a bit more

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the recommended water depth and the actual water depth?
The recommended is 9.5 to 11 inches but I have no idea how to measure that like how far in the water it is or how high out of the water it is lol. Rn id say maybe 6-9 inches. Still producing way too many bubbles

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in operation? It might be skimming to eliminate doc's that were present. If it doesn't calm down in a week or so, you may need to raise it up a bit more
Bout 2 hours now I know it’s got to set in to do it’s thing but I figured the bubbles should still be thick

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone know how to use the use the drain hose. Nothing is coming out of it and the directions on this thing were so terrible

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that the chamber the skimmer is in, that the water height doesn't fluctuate. Take a tape measure from bottom of sump, to the water line of the chamber where the skimmer goes. Try and keep it at the kevel recommended. This may require a stand, if the water level in the skimmer chamber is higher than recommended water depth. Otherwise, you may have to wait it out until the skimmer breaks in. My initial thought is that the skimmer is sitting in water too deep, makes me think to raise it with a stand.

OP
OP
fl3xlinton

fl3xlinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that the chamber the skimmer is in, that the water height doesn't fluctuate. Take a tape measure from bottom of sump, to the water line of the chamber where the skimmer goes. Try and keep it at the kevel recommended. This may require a stand, if the water level in the skimmer chamber is higher than recommended water depth. Otherwise, you may have to wait it out until the skimmer breaks in. My initial thought is that the skimmer is sitting in water too deep, makes me think to raise it with a stand.
It doesn’t fluctuate the only one it fluctuates in is the return pump chamber this is in the overflow chamber. Always stays the same. Right now it is not too deep the max recommended height is 11 inches it’s nowhere near that. Also should I just leave the cup off for now or keep letting it empty into my tank until it starts producing skin mate

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can find any depth recommendation for your skimmer online. Some manufacturers recommend one thing and it works better with another. I have a reef octopus and mine is in 6 inches of water. Could also be a break in issue.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back