NEW SPS Build Going bare bottom, ABS sheet or bare glass?

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, I have a new SPS build I’m going to be starting in a few weeks. The tank is a CAD Lights 45G Shallow, and I am going to be going SPS dominated inspired by the BRS/WWC Hybrid series. I want the tank to be bare bottom, with encrusting montiporas eventually covering the bottom. Should I go with just the bare glass, or an ABS Sheet in white or black from my local plastics shop?

Thanks!

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a matter of opinion. I haven't posted my build thread for my SPS tank yet but I went BB and bare glass. I hear the glass can cause some reflections but I saw this as a good opportunity for more par under the sps lol. I see some reflection on my tank now but I have to be at the right angle to see it. That's until it gets dirty or coraline grows over it. A sheet will provide some protection to the glass while getting rid of the reflection.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, really looking for suggestions... obviously just bare glass is the easiest, but are there any downsides I’m not considering my not covering it?

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went bare bottom with white ABS plastic (textured up). I didn't like the bare glass, black was too dark for me and the white looked kinda like sand so it was a transition for my sand loving eyes :) I will update my thread with that (so backed up) and put up pictures.

I know white can look dirty but as it is bare bottom I can just siphon/blow away any detritus.

OP
OP
HomeSlizzice

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went bare bottom with white ABS plastic (textured up). I didn't like the bare glass, black was too dark for me and the white looked kinda like sand so it was a transition for my sand loving eyes :) I will update my thread with that (so backed up) and put up pictures.

I know white can look dirty but as it is bare bottom I can just siphon/blow away any detritus.

Thank you!! This is the type of feedback I was hoping for

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, really looking for suggestions... obviously just bare glass is the easiest, but are there any downsides I’m not considering my not covering it?
bare glass

coralline algae

upload_2018-12-13_8-22-14.png

Last edited:

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would love to see how this turned out for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back