Flow suggestions 80 gallon SPS

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building out a new 80 gallon shallow 48x24x16 for an sps dominant reef. I just can’t seem to get the flow right. I am not pushing stuff back to the overflow. I tried the mp-40 on both ends and have an mp10 going not but I need to replace it with a different pump as my glass is to thick for it to be a long term solution. Any suggestions on pump placement?

The return is in the overflow and I had thoughts of re-plumbing it so the return comes in the opposite rear corner.

Any thoughts or help is appreciated! First ever shallow reef build. And a first try at a sps focused tank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try a gyre on each end and move the MP40s to the back, that's what I did on my display. Creates a nice standing wave with the gyres, and the MPs on the back prevent dead spots and randomize the flow. Jebao gyres are decent for the price.

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could try a gyre on each end and move the MP40s to the back, that's what I did on my display. Creates a nice standing wave with the gyres, and the MPs on the back prevent dead spots and randomize the flow. Jebao gyres are decent for the price.

I had thought about that. I will likely add two orbit 4’s from ai so I can use the mobis all for all flow and light. It worries me putting the mp40 on the back with only 24” width. You didn’t find them to powerful?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back