- Joined
- Nov 12, 2014
- Messages
- 421
- Reaction score
- 700
- Location
- Long Island
- What state or country do you live in
- New York
From Black Friday as well, A new sump to go inside my big sump.
My main sump is a 90 gallon polypropene tank that I had made for me back in 2007 when I did my first big tank upgrade, At the time I chose it so I would have enough room for equipment but mainly so I would have enough room that the sump would never overflow when the main tank's pumps were off. Now I have a good 30 gallons of reserve space when the pumps are off before this sump overflow, so it has worked great.
But over the years I have wanted to put in chambers more like a normal sump instead of one big area that everything goes into. I had the main drain going into a small 5 gallon tank and that kept bubbles away, but the skimmer and other equipment was all in one place.
I looked into getting a sump made but the cost of having someone make me a custom sump was a lot more than I wanted to spend. So on Black Friday BRS was dumping the AquaForest Sumps for 50% off. I found one that looked like it would work the AF435. I must have measured my sump and compared it to the AF435 like 10 times. In the end, it's a very tight fit, it but should fit with about 1/2-3/4" to clear. The layout design is almost perfect for what I want. My drains go into the right spot, the skimmer section JUST barley fits the skimmer. It has an ATO reservoir but I think I can convert that to a dosing section. So I pull the trigger, and the new sump arrives, it very nice.
First thing I do is measure everything again, it will fit awesome! So I get ready to convert it to my needs.
My main sump is a 90 gallon polypropene tank that I had made for me back in 2007 when I did my first big tank upgrade, At the time I chose it so I would have enough room for equipment but mainly so I would have enough room that the sump would never overflow when the main tank's pumps were off. Now I have a good 30 gallons of reserve space when the pumps are off before this sump overflow, so it has worked great.
(sump setup in the fish room. Little sump overflowing to the big sump)
But over the years I have wanted to put in chambers more like a normal sump instead of one big area that everything goes into. I had the main drain going into a small 5 gallon tank and that kept bubbles away, but the skimmer and other equipment was all in one place.
(sump layout)
(Drain comes in on the right, skimmer, ozone, Siporx middle, ATO and dosing in the top left, heater on the left, exit to the return pump bottom left)
(Drains go into 5 gallon tank to catch bubbles.)
I looked into getting a sump made but the cost of having someone make me a custom sump was a lot more than I wanted to spend. So on Black Friday BRS was dumping the AquaForest Sumps for 50% off. I found one that looked like it would work the AF435. I must have measured my sump and compared it to the AF435 like 10 times. In the end, it's a very tight fit, it but should fit with about 1/2-3/4" to clear. The layout design is almost perfect for what I want. My drains go into the right spot, the skimmer section JUST barley fits the skimmer. It has an ATO reservoir but I think I can convert that to a dosing section. So I pull the trigger, and the new sump arrives, it very nice.
First thing I do is measure everything again, it will fit awesome! So I get ready to convert it to my needs.
