New stand for new aquarium

lylesobba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will spare you all the details. Suffice it to say I need to move my 110gal aquarium. In doing so, we plan to upgrade to a 150, build a new stand, and create a built-in aquarium in the wall/utility room.

the plan is to build the stand out of 1/8 steel tubing. 1x3 for the top and 1x2 for the remainder of the design. I’ve got sketches. In my brain what I have worked up should be great. But I’m just a band director, not a structural engineer. We plan to do a six inch overhang to stick through the wall. I will frame under that six inch with 2x4 wood framing for the wall.

footprint of the new aquarium is 49 by 30.5. Seeing my rough sketch, does this plan sound viable?
0136F029-1D9C-48DE-833E-5DB7C5766A06.jpeg

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stand cannot carry the weight of the aquarium, then it is highly likely that it will collapse. It will also bring your very expensive aquarium down with it. If you are in doubt, look up the total weight of the tank, including the water. You should then check if the stand you are thinking of getting can handle the said weight. In the case of an aquarium stand, it is better to overcompensate rather than cut it close.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back