New star

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new star last night and thought it looked cool and wanted to share! A marble fromia? Also, I’ve heard never to get a green serpent star because they can go after fish and such…. This serpent has a green tint but I feel it is just a banded serpent. Think it is safe? I have other serpents including a cool harlequin but the green in this one made me pause.
IMG_6334.jpeg
IMG_6337.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only famliar with the banded serpent star. They are reef safe and easy to keep, but they will catch and eat small fishes like neon gobies and clown gobies when they sleep.

I've never tried the other kinds of stars due to low survival rates.

Very nice looking specimens, congrats.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Ophiarachna incrassata is the serpent star to watch out for - the serpent/brittle star you have is a different species, so I wouldn't be concerned.

As for the true starfish, yes, it looks to be a Fromia sp. - I'd guess the tiled starfish, Fromia monilis, but I can't rule out the elegant sea star, Fromia nodosa.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Ophiarachna incrassata is the serpent star to watch out for - the serpent/brittle star you have is a different species, so I wouldn't be concerned.

As for the true starfish, yes, it looks to be a Fromia sp. - I'd guess the tiled starfish, Fromia monilis, but I can't rule out the elegant sea star, Fromia nodosa.
Awesome. I’ve had a fromia once before so hopefully this guy will do as well. Here is a better pic now that lights are up and it happens to be next to the glass
IMG_6377.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back