New study on propeller pumps has some interesting findings! EcoTech vs Tunze?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally don't think vortec needed to conduct this study they are mainstream already!!! there only competitor is tunze, why did they do it no clue...... they don't need the buisness there not hurting they stand behind there product just as much as roger does, i have dealt with with them in the past....them funding it has nothing to do with swaying the results one way or another if it did tunze would not have released a statement...for one i love vortec and always will i recommend both companies fwiw but i personally go with vortec just for the technology and the number 1 reason looks!!!!!! this study is not gonna damper sells of either company imho....;)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe instead of trying to make Tunze look bad like some have suggested with no evidence, Ecotech did the test to see where they stood along with the competition on the advertised flow rate. The only way to do that is a scientific test of flow rate. So they took all the comparable pumps and tested them with the same methodology and if it was biased and untrue, then Tunze wouldn't have come out and agreed to the findings which should tell you that it as a fair, unbiased test. Let's not forget this is business and I also think there should be big props for Ecotech to let Tunze know of the findings before they publicly produced the results, if it was to hurt Tunze why would they tell them first in private? They would have come out publicly so Tunze would have been blindsided, but they didn't.

I have used products from both companies and have never had an issue with either one. I say as far as Tunze goes, it in the end makes them look good to agree to the findings and come out and publicly make sure people know they plan to fix it. To bad most companies now days don't have that kind of courage and ability to stand behind thier product even when there is an issue.

Last edited:

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the mp10 put out more flow than advertised. Mine stir up an underwater hurricane. Really no comparison to the koralia's I used before.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are different BUT gonna throw this out there...the wp 40 and the tunzes are very similar (to the point of a law suit probably soon). One seeing the wp40 and mp40 side by side it was clear that the vortech had way more undertow, torque, power in general. Those tunzes and wp's IMO is nothing but a propeller design that forces surface movement. Someone stated how fish get sucked up into vortechs. That's solid all around water movement where all the others are nothing but a glorified fan pushing water.

This is an excellent article and glad it has put some arguments to rest BUTT we all know the debate society will never sleep!!!! Lol

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to know the flow rate of me flopping around in the water, i bet that would sell at a premium. This info rocks! I'm wondering if they will just redesign the impeller or something you can do to your existing pumps. For that much money i would really not feel comfortable knowing I it ripped off a few thousand gallons per hour, but like they stated, nobody complained about it this whole time. I mean really...how many people have the means to test powerhead flow rate? Its not a hose you can hold over a bucket. Bag tests aren't exactly the easiest to do either.

Koralias are like...Cavaliers. Cheap an Easy to repair, but once they fry they are junk. Sometimes they start in reverse. That ain't cool. One of my nanos do that and I have to poke at it.

I also have one of those aqueons and the suction cup has actually been stuck forever now!! Its not as chunky sounding when it kicks on either, and the flow is fat and wide. The thing is square and kinda bulky though. Its kind of like a town car. It gets the water over to where it needs to.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe this thread is only 3 pages long, especially with it being started in 2011... Shocking;)

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the calculated flow rate of the Koralia that sucked the bag inside out when it started in reverse?:behindsofa: I say that knowing that all of my tanks have Koralias in them. Ecotech funded the test because they knew they would win. Tunze agreed with the findings and are working to change their performance. Regardless, we as the customers are the ones who win. We have info on our Ecotechs, we'll be getting better Tunzes, and my Koralias will still move plenty of water but start in reverse 1 out of 3 times.

Mac

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha ^^ very good question! When my nanos kick on in reverse it seems slower to me but it could just be te same rate just diffused in a 360* stream

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the calculated flow rate of the Koralia that sucked the bag inside out when it started in reverse?:behindsofa: I say that knowing that all of my tanks have Koralias in them. Ecotech funded the test because they knew they would win. Tunze agreed with the findings and are working to change their performance. Regardless, we as the customers are the ones who win. We have info on our Ecotechs, we'll be getting better Tunzes, and my Koralias will still move plenty of water but start in reverse 1 out of 3 times.

Mac

Haha, great response.

Stomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ecotech products. Top of the line stuff IMO.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why everyone is happy about the results with Ecotech. I'd say this shows conclusively that Ecotech and Tunze has some quality control issue. Pumps are not bought at a certain advertised volume with the hope that they flow more volume (at least not by me). More does not equal better. I want a pump that flows what it is supposed to flow. This further tells me that Hydors are the best bang for the buck and in addition the most accurate.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why everyone is happy about the results with Ecotech.

Because their pumps actually deliver what was promised and more. If you don't like that the Vortech flow outperforms the advertised rate, turn the knob counter-clockwise.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure why everyone is happy about the results with Ecotech. I'd say this shows conclusively that Ecotech and Tunze has some quality control issue. Pumps are not bought at a certain advertised volume with the hope that they flow more volume (at least not by me). More does not equal better. I want a pump that flows what it is supposed to flow. This further tells me that Hydors are the best bang for the buck and in addition the most accurate.

There hasn't been any well-defined way to measure GPH until recently. To say that there are quality control issues is not entirely accurate. I think these companies were each using their own techniques to measure GPH. The issue lies in that tunze are more direct flow and ecotech are more wide flow. Is a pump just about GPH or are there other factors?

I would definitely reconsider basing your purchases purely on this study. Hydor pumps, at least for me, last about 1-3 years before they fail. I have tunze pumps that have been around for 10 years or more. I have an MP60 that's been going strong for about 3 years. So to say that, based on this study, hydor are the best bang for the buck, is not taking into consideration longevity of the pump. In addition, hydro pumps leak voltage after about a year....

I'm looking forward to trying some of the Jebo pumps. Now those are a good bang for the buck, they are so darn cheap you can't really argue with that...

Last edited:

aquariolux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a new pump which does not really do the same but may be interesting for marine Aquarium - specially big ones. our Fathom-II pumps can be run in 10M3, 15M3 and +20M3/H and on Auto, it mill make a Loop of the 3. it is so strong that the current will still be felt 5 and more meters (Yards) away from the pump. it will first be exhibited in the netherlands next week on the Holland Koi Show Stand Nr. E3 Pompe Immerge Fathom-2 we may produce this pump also with 110 Volt/60HZ next year

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back