New article on measuring propeller pump output

Leonard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced Aquarist has published a whooper of an article this morning. The authors set out to create a standardized method for measuring propeller pump output and tested all the popular propeller pumps on the market today.

Hobbyists have seen significant advancements in the range of aquarium circulation pumps available over the past decade. While all manufacturers provide a flow rate for the pumps, it is not clear what methods have been used to arrive at the numbers. Further, different manufacturers may use different methods. We have presented a standard method that we hope can be adopted by the manufacturers thus enabling a more accurate and verifiable approach.
Feature Article: Experimental Comparison of Measured Flow Output of Aquarium Propeller Pumps; Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice article! I am going to have to get more coffee before I read all the theoretical parts...:eek:oh: My head was hurting just skimming that stuff. Very interesting results. I remember reading about the MP10 awhile back that they were getting more flow than advertised.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool article. I wish they would have put the mod kit on the maxi jet 1200. would have been interesting to see the numbers

bob

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back