Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/nfp509-nitrate-filter

They have been making them for years, but they never took off. It works by adding a carbon source (alcohol), then pumping water through it as such a slow rate that the oxygen in the water is lowered, creating an anaerobic environment where nitrate eating bacteria will start to grow. You can manually tune it like a calcium reactor, or put a o2/ph probe on it and control the water flow through it with a controller and peristaltic pump.

Carbon denitrators have been around a very long time. Many who have used them find them tedious to adjust properly.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running the aquamaxx nitrate reactor for some time I can definitely say that it is a well built component and would definitely recommend it. With that said, should you use an aqualifter for the feed line, be sure to purchase the aqualifter pre-filter. If that line becomes obstructed then H2s will form. To answer one of the questions above, the odor will be slightly noticeable in the sump / base however in my case it was not overpowering. I was already familiar with the smell since i've make mistakes with carbon reactors by turning them off and taking my time in pulling the media chamber for replacement etc.
Per Randy and others, the risk of H2s is in the restriction of flow in the reactor and caused by the organics in the water and has little to do with the sulfur in the reactor.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a DOS to feed their denitrator and control flow based on ORP?

Just ordered an Aquamaxx denitrator!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a DOS to feed their denitrator and control flow based on ORP?

Just ordered an Aquamaxx denitrator!

Think of this like a calcium reactor... you need a constant flow through it, not intermittent doses. This is not what the DOS or most other peristaltic pumps are designed for. In my last tank, I tee'd off the maxijet feeding the media reactors to feed the denitrator. When I set up my new tank, I was feeding the denitrator with an aqualifter. Earlier this week I replumbed my system and I am now feeding it off a return pump manifold.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a Ca Rx and use a manifold to feed it but have always struggled to maintain a constant flow. In a Ca Rx if it gets plugged the risk is an Alk decrease but if a denitrator gets plugged, the risk it a Rx crash and H2S. I believe Terrence is using the DOS on his denitrator as discussed in his thread.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep a constant flow. Checking it everyday isn't always an option since I travel often for work.

What works best for folks to keep a constant flow?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use a Ca Rx and use a manifold to feed it but have always struggled to maintain a constant flow. In a Ca Rx if it gets plugged the risk is an Alk decrease but if a denitrator gets plugged, the risk it a Rx crash and H2S. I believe Terrence is using the DOS on his denitrator as discussed in his thread.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep a constant flow. Checking it everyday isn't always an option since I travel often for work.

If you are worried about it getting clogged/plugged, you can run an aqualifter prefilter on the inlet line. You could use this on your calcium reactor as well.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-lifter-pre-filter.html

Honestly, I'd worry more about the calcium reactor plugging causing more issues than the denitrator...

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The aqua lifter pump came with my aquamaxx denitrator the drip rate does change slightly over a few days but if you're not around to check it, during the break-in petiod I would just up the rate a little more while not home and if it does slow up would not be a problem. Mine is only about 3 weeks old now but is working very well, nitrates are zero from effluent. After the six week period as per instructions I am hoping to up my rate to a lightstream or very fast drip, which should be a little more manageable.
If you are worried about it getting clogged/plugged, you can run an aqualifter prefilter on the inlet line. You could use this on your calcium reactor as well.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-lifter-pre-filter.html

Honestly, I'd worry more about the calcium reactor plugging causing more issues than the denitrator...

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When running a denitrator, is this your primary method of nutrient control or do you use other systems such as refugiums?

I imagine I'll still need to run GFO for PO4 but wondering if a refugium would be redundant and not thrive due to low nitrates in the first place. However, I would still see benefits such as growing copepods and other organisms that are beneficial to the reef.

I have used biopellets for about 3 years and was never completely satisfied. I found it hard to control and could never get the nitrates below 10ppm, two things I'm hoping the denitrator will help with.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a carbon one online 4 days ago & after 2 days the output was 0 nitrate with a 10ml/min drip rate.
Tank no3 is only 5ppm area tho, i got tired of trying differant methods to get it a little lower.
Mv controller with new probe says its running at -160mv area , i also added my apex orp probe for a safety alert & using Terence's way of it displaying mv as ph (ph 7 reading = 0 mv & supposed to be -58 mv for each unit above that so in theory the apex probe is telling me im only -87mv. Anyway its working like a bomb,just need to get the right flow dialed in.

Here's what the apex showed happened
1st night i added 1 vial of biodigest & just let it run closed but with the circ pump running.
10L reactor with bactoballs & deniballs & a little denimar powder for an initial food hit for the bacteria.
Terence's explanation of running the Apex orp/ mv probe displaying as ph is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/g...apex-all-the-time.198797/page-59#post-3480845

Theres my start up (the daily square-ish bounces are an interference i have when my t5's come on/go off.

36081105072_abb7c33a6f_c.jpg

Last edited:

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using an aqualifter, as mentioned before, definitely have the pre-filter installed. I learned that the hard way. As far as peristaltic pumps, i use one in place of my needle valve on my vertex calrx and love it. It's a masterflex system so it's built like a tank. Some friends run spectrapure pumps successfully as well.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fot the aquamaxx denitrator. Seems very complicate to put it together....
What is the dosing circulation pump for?

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news for me:
Pump is cracked leaking water everywhere.
The reactor is good quality, but the pump and the connections are very bad quality. I spoke with MD tech Support, sent some pics, and they will foward to aquamaxx. Its going to be another week. Sucks.

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fot the aquamaxx denitrator. Seems very complicate to put it together....
What is the dosing circulation pump for?
The dosing pump actually feeds the denitrator the pump that's on the denitrator just circulates the water in it

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news for me:
Pump is cracked leaking water everywhere.
The reactor is good quality, but the pump and the connections are very bad quality. I spoke with MD tech Support, sent some pics, and they will foward to aquamaxx. Its going to be another week. Sucks.
Sorry for your bad luck aquamaxx or Marine Depot will definitely get it straightened out for you! [emoji20]

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the plastic itself crack or is it just leaking? I had an issue where it leaked around the connection between the recirc pump and the fitting. I believe i corrected this with magic lube silicone grease and possible thread sealant.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back