New sulfur denitrator working great!

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased and aquamaxx sulfur denitrator my nitrates were very high around 80 ppm's after two weeks the nitrates entering my denitrator are 40 ppm's and coming out are zero denitrator is working great. It only took the two weeks for the bacteria to develop enough!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more. I bought one of these two years ago (mine is a GEO model) and within 2 weeks it was destroying nitrates and then you never have to worry about them again. I don't know why more people don't use them. If I had to choose between my skimmer and the sulfur denitrator, I'd give up my skimmer before I gave up the denitrator. It just works, plain and simple. Now I never have to worry about nitrates again.

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more. I bought one of these two years ago (mine is a GEO model) and within 2 weeks it was destroying nitrates and then you never have to worry about them again. I don't know why more people don't use them. If I had to choose between my skimmer and the sulfur denitrator, I'd give up my skimmer before I gave up the denitrator. It just works, plain and simple. Now I never have to worry about nitrates again.
I don't know if a lot of people know they're even out there

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if a lot of people know they're even out there

I'm mad that they have some kind of stigma attached to them. People think they're a band-aid for bad husbandry or something... starving your fish is not good husbandry! We have all these tools at our disposal for maintaining good water quality... water changes, carbon dosing, GFO, refugiums, skimmers, but for some reason people think that denitrators mean you're a bad reefer who cant control nitrates by other means. Like using a denitrator is admitting you're one of "those people" who have nitrate problems. Who cares how you achieve good water quality if it works! I've used all the methods mentioned above over the past 15 years and the sulfur denitrator is the easiest and most effective method I've ever used to deal with nitrates. I really don't know why nitrates are ever even a thing people deal with at this point.

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mad that they have some kind of stigma attached to them. People think they're a band-aid for bad husbandry or something... starving your fish is not good husbandry! We have all these tools at our disposal for maintaining good water quality... water changes, carbon dosing, GFO, refugiums, skimmers, but for some reason people think that denitrators mean you're a bad reefer who cant control nitrates by other means. Like using a denitrator is admitting you're one of "those people" who have nitrate problems. Who cares how you achieve good water quality if it works! I've used all the methods mentioned above over the past 15 years and the sulfur denitrator is the easiest and most effective method I've ever used to deal with nitrates. I really don't know why nitrates are ever even a thing people deal with at this point.
Exactly!! :)

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natures (bacterias) does the job better for sure. Other modern methods will work as well as long as the nitrogen cycle can be completed as it should. ATS, algae reactor, sulfur denitrator, carbon dosing, skimmer, WC and a lot other methods will excel, if it is done and deployed correctly.

I have my own version of denitrator, and it brought down my 80ppm NO3 to almost zero in less than 3 weeks.

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natures (bacterias) does the job better for sure. Other modern methods will work as well as long as the nitrogen cycle can be completed as it should. ATS, algae reactor, sulfur denitrator, carbon dosing, skimmer, WC and a lot other methods will excel, if it is done and deployed correctly.

I have my own version of denitrator, and it brought down my 80ppm NO3 to almost zero in less than 3 weeks.
WOW!

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have my korallin s1502, bought it used in 2010. I needed it, as I had a 210g fowlr with big messy fish back then. Will hook it up once needed on my 180 reef that is currently cycling.
Yes I read korallin's are supposed to be pretty good

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to know what size tank and what size of denitrator you went with. I don't see many people post information about them lately. It seems to be a good tool for a specific purpose.

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to know what size tank and what size of denitrator you went with. I don't see many people post information about them lately. It seems to be a good tool for a specific purpose.
I have the Red Sea reefer 250 which with sump is approximately 65 gallons I got the aquamaxx ts1 kit with sulfur and the calcium which is for tanks up to 200 gallons. I did kick start with stability and nopox for carbon food source, yesterday everything coming out or the effluent of nitrate was 0 but had my drip rate very slow one drop every 5 to 10 seconds I did up the drip rate last night to two to three drops second and this morning nitrates were not dropping at all but the bacterial bed is still very immature at only two weeks where directions say it will take up to 6, but I can see this unit will be very effective for my tank!

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say bacteria work the best for me in terms of maintenance, running cost and effectiveness.

Keep an eye on the drip rates. You might have to sniff out for hydrogen sulfide build up as well. Good luck!
Yes that is a very good point! Thanks

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is a very good point! Thanks

No problem. Another thing to remember is sulfate build up. I think I came across this issue a couple of times in a forum. For non WC reefer this can be a problem. Uncle google might have the data for you :D

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I think sulfur denitrator produces hydrogen sulfide faster due to the fact that it is sulfur based.
I was reading an article on this and a chemist says we can smell the result way before it becomes toxic to the reef tank, very good article

OP
OP
lawise

lawise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your drip rate ever become slow enough that you smelled hydrogen sulfide I was reading an article on that and it says you can smell it way before it becomes toxic to the reef tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back