New Sump Leak

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping to get some feedback on how I should handle a situation with a new acrylic sump. I ordered it a few weeks ago and it was delivered this past week. When it arrived I found one of the acrylic heater holders had came off during shipment. I reached out to the builder and they were responsive and sent some solvent to reattach it. Not a big deal. Finished plumbing it this weekend and began to fill it to check for plumbing leaks. Unfortunately found a pinhole leak along the bottom seam of the return pump section. I was was able to empty it quickly and thankfully had used lots of unions so it was easy to remove. I won’t name the builder because things happen and I want to give them the opportunity to make it right. Wondering what folks think is a reasonable resolution? I’m certainly not happy but want to be fair. Shipping it back is not an option. Can the seam be fixed with solvent reliably? Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was hoping to get some feedback on how I should handle a situation with a new acrylic sump. I ordered it a few weeks ago and it was delivered this past week. When it arrived I found one of the acrylic heater holders had came off during shipment. I reached out to the builder and they were responsive and sent some solvent to reattach it. Not a big deal. Finished plumbing it this weekend and began to fill it to check for plumbing leaks. Unfortunately found a pinhole leak along the bottom seam of the return pump section. I was was able to empty it quickly and thankfully had used lots of unions so it was easy to remove. I won’t name the builder because things happen and I want to give them the opportunity to make it right. Wondering what folks think is a reasonable resolution? I’m certainly not happy but want to be fair. Shipping it back is not an option. Can the seam be fixed with solvent reliably? Thanks.
This may warrant a replacement unit. You did not get what you paid for.
You could attempt to seal it, but any further defects become your responsibility once you do.

OP
OP
M

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion was made by the builder that it could be fixed with solvent. I’m going to talk to them tomorrow.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that with now 2 defects in assembly related to solvent and joints I would request a replacement. You don't need to come hoe to water on the floor and if it a reputable manufacturer they will make it right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back